Generator Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Could anyone recommend a good training guide/book/reference guide for sizing generators? I have sized some, but I am always questioning my numbers. I watched the 2014 Mike Holt video, and he mentioned a book he was going to put out... does that exists?

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Could anyone recommend a good training guide/book/reference guide for sizing generators? I have sized some, but I am always questioning my numbers. I watched the 2014 Mike Holt video, and he mentioned a book he was going to put out... does that exists?
I would like to see that book as well if it exist.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That being posted I have never seen anyone use the numbers mike used for a/c units. He states the manufacturers want the a/c sized by the LRA

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
That being posted I have never seen anyone use the numbers mike used for a/c units. He states the manufacturers want the a/c sized by the LRA
Do you believe we should account for LRA? I have a customer that had several contractors give an estimate for a 22 kw Generac and I'm actually installing a 24 kw generac for the customer next week . My concern is the genny being big enough. It's a standard house, 2000 sf with well pump, water heater, dryer, 1.5 ton hp (14 rla). Also has a commerical dishwasher washer (53 amps) and a hot tub. We are installing a smart module on the hot tub but I believe we may need a module on the commercial DW as well. Any thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It doesn't matter what I believe but it certainly would be the safest way to go. Controlling loads is obviously the best option to keep the costs down on the generator cost

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A lot of people value your opinion.
TY- I have seen so many units work fine without the LRA being considered but it is hard to know how close to the limit those units are when they come on. I believe that long term use of a generator can eventually cause failure to the unit and/or generator so I would probably use the LRA.

I never do generators and with all the smart load controls this may not be much of an issue anymore. That video was made in 2014 so....

If there isn't any load shedding then it would probably be smart to use the LRA

Status
Not open for further replies.