General use snap switches

Colby J

Occupation
Electrician
How big of a motor can I control with a general use snap switch? I saw this question on my exam and had a hard time finding it.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I would be interested in seeing how the answers were worded. you can also look at 404.14(A)(4) or 404.14(B)(2) last sentence.

The motor section seems to limit it differently by putting it under the 2HP or less. Art.404 leaves it broad.

The motor section is more likely the answer you would have seen.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Did they say 'general use,' because you can get heavy-duty (20A) General Use switches that pretty much fit in the same space...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The issue is that there are two types of general use snap switches. For the type that is rated for both AC and DC, the switch need to have an ampere rating of twice that of the motor full load current. For the one only rated for AC the switch needs to have a ampere rating of 125% of the motor current.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
The issue is that there are two types of general use snap switches. For the type that is rated for both AC and DC, the switch need to have an ampere rating of twice that of the motor full load current. For the one only rated for AC the switch needs to have a ampere rating of 125% of the motor current.
Aren't there also switches with HP ratings?

In the real world, we could assume both Don and Larry would have compliant installs if they met those specific rules. But I am curious as to how the question was worded and how the answer was worded. From the way the OP asked the question, there is more than one solution.