general contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

would you report unlicensed electrical work to AHJ or just mind your own business? i know of unlicensed work going on,Im just kinda torn about reporting it. we weren't guaranteed job but i don't like idea of unlicensed guys doing work. Just Asking.

mgookin

would you report unlicensed electrical work to AHJ or just mind your own business? i know of unlicensed work going on,Im just kinda torn about reporting it. we weren't guaranteed job but i don't like idea of unlicensed guys doing work. Just Asking.

AHJ often enforces code compliance.

Often states have a state industry licensing board who regulates licensure.

Some states require a licensee to report known violations.

You don't say where you are.

growler

Are you talking about unlicensed work or unpermitted work?

Most of the time unlicensed guys can't get a permit and so they do unpermitted work. In that case you can contact the AHJ. They may require complaint in writting (so they will have a recored of it).

J.P.

I have seen it. But I have never reported anybody. I may have mentioned it in the local supply house ( rumor mill )

I have turned down lots of " side " work because I don't want the liability.

Often times around here it is a general contractor having one of his guys that "knows how" to do electrical doing some wiring on a remodel they are working on. Sometimes its a decent job.

If I am on a job and I see some not so bueno stuff that I have to fix because its my A$$ if I touch it. I will let the principal know the 2 options.
I can do I right and my company assumes liability or I can leave and he can get it cobbled and run that risk, either way.

Lots of people don't think about the consequences of hiring some electrik guy to something on the cheap. Once you explain the risk, safety, ins liability factors most of them want it done right. The ones that don't.........You didn't want their business anyway.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Often times around here it is a general contractor having one of his guys that "knows how" to do electrical doing some wiring on a remodel they are working on. Sometimes its a decent job.

Yup, those are the once high & mighty generals insistent their subs had ALL the insurances and credentials ....that dumbed down to 'in-house electrician and plumber' after the housing bust.

But it gets better when one realizes all the small maintenance companies are hiring failed apprentices too

The real problem is, all the above, be it good bad or ugly gets laid on our backs statistically, bureaucratically , as well as market response...

~RJ~

J.P.

I got a call from a guy this morning asking if I would come out and check over his wiring job............ He wanted to make sure he did it right.

I told him to call the city offices and ask for an electrical inspection. If it passed his insurance company would be happy.

He acted a bit indignant that I would pass on the opportunity to look over his work. I guess I should have told him I would be happy to assume liability for his work for the price of a service call.

On a side note. I saw a plumber direct burying 14ga regular romex (White jacket) for a septic system.
I don't handle much romex so maybe it was ok, but to me it looked like the cheap trailer stuff.

kwired

Electron manager
On a side note. I saw a plumber direct burying 14ga regular romex (White jacket) for a septic system.
I don't handle much romex so maybe it was ok, but to me it looked like the cheap trailer stuff.

If it was NM cable - it is not rated for that application.

If it was UF cable - it may have been just fine.

The two cable types may not be easy to tell apart without somewhat close examination.

UF seems to typically have a gray color more recently, but I can find older UF cables that are as white as NM cables and there is no specific color requirement so I wouldn't go by that alone.

growler

I got a call from a guy this morning asking if I would come out and check over his wiring job............ He wanted to make sure he did it right.

I told him to call the city offices and ask for an electrical inspection. If it passed his insurance company would be happy.

He acted a bit indignant that I would pass on the opportunity to look over his work. I guess I should have told him I would be happy to assume liability for his work for the price of a service call.

If a customer is actually willing to pay for the time it will take to inspect their work there is nothing wrong with giving your opinion as a consultant.

To inspect a job done by a homeowner it will take between 2-4 hours ( since they like to argue, you need to provide a code reference for each violation ). Wiring needs to be open for inspection and the first violation listed is the fact they don't have a permit.

If the job is a total mess then the only advice you can give is for them to call an electrician and you still charge a consultation fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.