Generac Transfer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I’ve got a 200 amp generac transfer switch that functions fine every time I’m called out. The customer tells me that every time the power goes off the generator takes over and everything functions as it should. When the power is restored the generator transfers back and all 240v appliances are non functioning and random rooms have no power. I haven’t been able to recreate the issue but it sounds like they are loosing a phase. If anyone is a generac expert I would appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Then that's where the problem lies: the internal transfer switch itself, or a terminal or conductor on it is loose.

I'm guessing you mean manually cycle it with the metal handle, and not with the service breaker in the ATS.

Occupation
Electrician
Then that's where the problem lies: the internal transfer switch itself, or a terminal or conductor on it is loose.

I'm guessing you mean manually cycle it with the metal handle, and not with the service breaker in the ATS.

No he is cycling the service breaker. The gen kicks into warm up then goes into cool down and power is returned to normal.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No he is cycling the service breaker. The gen kicks into warm up then goes into cool down and power is returned to normal.
In that case, I would have the customer flip the transfer switch manually next time it happens, not the breaker.

By tripping the service breaker, two different parts are being cycled, so we're not sure which one is the cause.

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. We need to see whether the switch or the breaker is the culprit.

By the way, he could just reset the breaker immediately without having to wait for the generator to start and run.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
With the 80kW Generac I care for, the ATS got confused - only once so far. The ATS dropped from Gen to the neutral position instead of completing the cycle to Line. I locked out the gen, opened the main, set the ATS to Line with the metal handle, and closed the main. No problems since, but I'm unsure if gen power has been called for since then.

With the OP's symptoms, it almost sounds like only one pole of the ATS is closing to the line side when it acts up.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Can you get a list of areas without power when it happens, and see which leg it is on?

On my 20kw Kohler system, there is no neutral position on the ATS, it clicks over very solidly from one to the other.

Occupation
Electrician
Can you get a list of areas without power when it happens, and see which leg it is on?

On my 20kw Kohler system, there is no neutral position on the ATS, it clicks over very solidly from one to the other.

Problem is it only happens with a true power loss so it’s hard to say

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We have been on outages and restored power and the transfer part was only supplying 120V. They have 240 below the generac main, it just doesn’t make contact through the actual transfer switch.
We usually bypass them if we don’t have many out just to help until they get their electrician

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Based on the the OP info it sounds like what he thinks is happening is correct. On retransfer back to utility power, one of the phases is not connecting causing single phasing to the loads. And whether the operator is MANUALLY transferring the ATS back to utility or opening the utility breaker ( cycle test ) has no bearing on the problem. Sounds typical of a lack of maintenance and the switching mechanism needs to be cleaned and re-lubed to correct the problem. This is what keeps my co in business. Dried grease and dirt in the switching mechanism is the culprit, My Friend, and Music To My Ears!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And whether the operator is MANUALLY transferring the ATS back to utility or opening the utility breaker ( cycle test ) has no bearing on the problem.
I meant to differentiate between the two. But, now that you mention it, if the problem was the breaker, it wouldn't occur during automatic operation.

So, the manual switch operation should clear it also. It's got to be the actual transfer switch mechanism in the ATS itself.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Based on the the OP info it sounds like what he thinks is happening is correct. On retransfer back to utility power, one of the phases is not connecting causing single phasing to the loads. And whether the operator is MANUALLY transferring the ATS back to utility or opening the utility breaker ( cycle test ) has no bearing on the problem. Sounds typical of a lack of maintenance and the switching mechanism needs to be cleaned and re-lubed to correct the problem. This is what keeps my co in business. Dried grease and dirt in the switching mechanism is the culprit, My Friend, and Music To My Ears!
With Genercraps it could be a misadjusted clearing contact too, dropping power to the coil before the switch is totally closed. I have replaced those that have failed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.