Generac service rated transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I am a new apprentice electrician and I install generators with my friend who is a master electrician. Question is.. there is a service rated 200 amp breaker under meter socket and I have a service rated transfer switch for generator. Is it ok to install the service rated transfer switch with it already having a service rated breaker under panel. Generator comes with this switch and a non service rated transfer switch will take 6 month to get.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it ok to install the service rated transfer switch with it already having a service rated breaker under panel.\
Welcome to the forum.

It's absolutely okay to have a redundant main breaker, and you have the option of leaving the existing disconnect or replacing it. I've done it both ways, depending on the existing installation.

Remember that the first disco after the meter is the service main, so in the next disco (the ATS in your case), you should remove the bonding jumper (the 6" green wire) between the neutral and grounding buses.

The advantage of finding an existing service with an outside main and inside panel is that the neutrals and grounds are already separated, and you don't have to replace the service cable.

I have pics of one I did where I left the existing disco and nippled to the ATS. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• KIMG0054.JPG
    KIMG0054.JPG
    550.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.