GEC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey4U

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't have a lot of time so I'll keep my question simple. From what I see the Code requires a grounding electrode conductor to be installed continuous from a panel to a ground rod. If I don't get 25 ohms I have to install a second ground rod. A co-worker is telling me that if I add a second rod I have to remove the first GEC and install a new GEC that is continuous from the panel through a clamp and on to the second rod continuous without a splice. I'm telling him that the second rod is connected to the first rod with a bonding jumper and I don't have to remove the first GEC and install a new one that is continuous. all the way to the second rod Please help with any Code articles.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Your coworker is incorrect and the fine folks on Code Making Panel 5 (Art 250) have recently clarified this. The GEC goes to the first ground rod. From the first ground rod its called a bonding jumper. Have them read section 250.53(C)
So it can be two wires and three clamps
I appreciate you questioning your coworkers! Too many in the electrical trade learned something that may of been wrong, or has changed

Trey4U

Occupation
Your coworker is incorrect and the fine folks on Code Making Panel 5 (Art 250) have recently clarified this. The GEC goes to the first ground rod. From the first ground rod its called a bonding jumper. Have them read section 250.53(C)
So it can be two wires and three clamps
I appreciate you questioning your coworkers! Too many in the electrical trade learned something that may of been wrong, or has changed

He is claiming 250.64(C) AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I was a helper, my boss had me run it unbroken as your co-worker described, but that was to save the cost of one rod clamp.

The habit has stuck with me, but because it can be a challenge, not because I'm cheap. (I am cheap, but that's not why I still do it.)

Trey4U

Occupation
When I was a helper, my boss had me run it unbroken as your co-worker described, but that was to save the cost of one rod clamp.

The habit has stuck with me, but because it can be a challenge, not because I'm cheap. (I am cheap, but that's not why I still do it.)

That's like having to leave 6" of wire for terminations at a junction box. Not necessarily so. We get in the habit or were told things many years ago and they stick.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Show him this:

119882d1515102700-gec-entering-enclosure-mike-holt-250-4.jpg

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Maybe you can see this one.

GECjumpers.JPG

The GEC is from the neutral connection to the first electrode after that all others are simply jumpers.

Roger

Trey4U

Occupation
I think that I fixed it can you see it now?

Yes, I see it, thanks! He is using an image from a NEC Handbook that shows two rods connected with one continuous wire and all he reads is "continuous". I may try to educate him but he's the type of person that has a hard time accepting change.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, I see it, thanks! He is using an image from a NEC Handbook that shows two rods connected with one continuous wire and all he reads is "continuous". I may try to educate him but he's the type of person that has a hard time accepting change.

Keep in mind the NEC handbook is not an official NFPA interpretation of the code - and it tells you that somewhere near the front of the book.

It is simply the opinion of those that authored the commentary in the book, just like Mike Holt's publications are nothing more than his opinions and are not official NFPA interpretations either.

Trey4U

Occupation
Keep in mind the NEC handbook is not an official NFPA interpretation of the code - and it tells you that somewhere near the front of the book.

It is simply the opinion of those that authored the commentary in the book, just like Mike Holt's publications are nothing more than his opinions and are not official NFPA interpretations either.

Good to know, thanks!

Edit: I just looked in the front of the 2017 NEC and the order form for the Handbook goes to catalog.nfpa.org/NEC. The NFPA is selling the Handbook but isn't responsible for it's content?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Good to know, thanks!

Edit: I just looked in the front of the 2017 NEC and the order form for the Handbook goes to catalog.nfpa.org/NEC. The NFPA is selling the Handbook but isn't responsible for it's content?

The handbook has the original NEC content and it has the commentary content that is the author's explanation. NFPA does not stand behind any of the explanatory content because NFPA was not responsible for writing that content. They do not intend anyone to assume that commentary is any official NFPA explanation of their intentions or interpretations of any the actual code content. Many do assume so anyway, but if you ever get into serious situation on challenging someone on a topic within that handbook, find and show that statement to whoever is challenging you.

There have been a couple times in the past where people have pointed out mistakes in the handbook on this site also.

Status
Not open for further replies.