GEC length and bend

Status
Not open for further replies.

k947

Hi and thanks again for all of your help and knowledge. I have been trying to find in the various NEC code cycles about the length of the GEC and the number of bends. I read or heard in a class somewhere (I thought) where it was said that the GEC should be as short as possible with the least number of bends and I can't find anything. The only thing I found in 800.100 that for communication circuits it says maximum 20 feet and as straight as possible. I cant find anything else for the GEC for services from the disconnect, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kermit

kwired

Electron manager
There is no such restrictions on the art 250 grounding electrode systems.

Good design may take such things into consideration to some extent though. But if you have a service on one end of building and say a qualifying water pipe electrode on opposite end, you have little choice - you still need to connect to that water pipe electrode.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I believe also a concern in the design of lightning protection systems.

But as already stated not a requirement for NEC compliance in building electrical systems.

Jon

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You will find this is in the 250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding, a very important and overlooked section. It says follow the prescriptive rules to comply with the performance rules of this section, or Art 250 tells you exactly how to achieve this a great example is in 250.8.
1642979836528.png
INs are not enforceable, this one is interesting as the code panel felt this was important to know. Most INs are for a reference standard.
I would suggest you search for copy of Motorola R-56, Standards and Guidelines for Communications Sites, its the gold standard for grounding and bonding. It does cover the installation of the GEC and bending radius. This is getting into performance grounding and lightning protection, important for radio systems. For the rest of use, we just do what Art 250 says

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.