GE Smart Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlton

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hey I have ran into an issue where GE advertises that its smart switch can be installed with and line load and ground. They also claim to be able to use the same configuration of wires supposedly to become a 3 way switch, besides that I'm trying to use the motion sensor switch for a bathroom vanity and it's not seeming to hook up to the light or preform properly with the light control settings. Basically it wants to link up with the wifi and the app, but instead just turns the vanity lights on and off... I curious why it can't just preform like a typical switch until it its engaged to the wifi or app. Any how I had to install and uninstall these all day all over the house it seems. Most curious is the bathroom situation. It only askes for the line load and ground, i gave it what it needed and it has a blue light issue at the switch. How can this be resolved? Shouldn't just be able to be link up with the app and be good to go, but instead it has become a smart problem I am not stoked on, back to my 3way deal has anyone successfully used this 2 wire to fulfill there 3 way smart switch replacement? I'd like to know, seems interesting....

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've installed GE smart switch only once, and it didn't function properly. I called GE technical support and they determined it was a bad unit.

I suggest you call them

1-800-435-4448

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210106-074651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210106-074651_Chrome.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 11

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
There are relay based motion detector switches that work with all loads without a neutral. It powers its control circuit by bleeding fractions of mA between hot and frame ground. To keep the current to a safe level, I believe it relies on internal capacitor to provide the current pulse to drive the relay and as such, it's completely unresponsive for about 30 seconds after energizing.

First thing I'd do is check the mounting bracket with non contact volt meter. If it warns you, it's not getting ground. Then, wait a few minutes after energizing

garbo

Hey I have ran into an issue where GE advertises that its smart switch can be installed with and line load and ground. They also claim to be able to use the same configuration of wires supposedly to become a 3 way switch, besides that I'm trying to use the motion sensor switch for a bathroom vanity and it's not seeming to hook up to the light or preform properly with the light control settings. Basically it wants to link up with the wifi and the app, but instead just turns the vanity lights on and off... I curious why it can't just preform like a typical switch until it its engaged to the wifi or app. Any how I had to install and uninstall these all day all over the house it seems. Most curious is the bathroom situation. It only askes for the line load and ground, i gave it what it needed and it has a blue light issue at the switch. How can this be resolved? Shouldn't just be able to be link up with the app and be good to go, but instead it has. become a smart problem I am not stoked on, back to my 3way deal has anyone successfully used this 2 wire to fulfill there 3 way smart switch replacement? I'd like to know, seems interesting....
As a 50 year sparky I never use any GE products. Always had trouble with their inferior medium voltage switchgear ( 13.2 KV ) , their starters insude buckets running 30 degrees hotter then 3 other companies, slow part & setvice department. Back in the 1970' s they contaimanited one of our 13.2 KV transformers with PCB'S after fiteting out the oil. Wife purchased a ge gas stove. Only company to wire the glow coil in series with oven & broil gas valves wasting power. Went thru 3 glow coils in 8 years. While pre. heating ge junk oven glass on door exploded. Service department is a joke. Good luck. Their stock is almost wortless and bet that a lot of their divisons will catch be sold off. Took them almost 2 years to sell off USA lamp divison.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Uhhhh consumer grade wiring accessories with GE logo isn't the same GE. Those are just licensed products made by heavens know who and they paid for licensing to use the GE name.

Status
Not open for further replies.