GE Panel - Branch Circuit Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

royta

I bid on, and received, a spa sub panel job. Unfortunately, GE main panel is missing the branch circuit shield. You know, the shield that you break the tabs off of for the breakers. It exposes the breaker handles, but covers the wiring. I stated in the contract that no work will commence until a shield is available to install in the panel. It also states that the Contract Sum does not include the replacement shield.

I called a GE shop wholesale house with the shield part number, taken from the sticker under the cover, but was told the part is an obsolete part number. I was told to call 1-800-GE1STOP. They confirmed the part number was obsolete, but asked for the panel's part number. They are currently looking into whether or not a shield can be obtained.

My question is this: Is this in fact a UL Listed item? Do you think I would be fine to just have a sheet metal shop manufacture one for me? I'd rather avoid a panel upgrade if I could.

By the way, just in case any of you know where I can obtain obsolete parts, the branch shield part number is 343L628G46, and the Meter Socket Load Center is a Semi-Flush Type / TM1410MUF.

Thanks. -Roy

gndrod

Re: GE Panel - Branch Circuit Shield

Royta, I've been caught on this one in the past and found that installing a spare breaker is a quick answer to final deadlines.

rbj, Seattle

bphgravity

I don't think the deadfront cover itself would be listed, however I do think it would be apart of a listed assembly for the panelboard and enclosure. If you were to make your own, I suspect you would be required to meet the exact specifications of the original manufactured cover. Possibly, you would only need AHJ approval for your own cover.

tonyi

I've never had a problem with an inspector if I filled empty slot twistouts with breakers not hooked to anything...if you have the original cover of course.

templdl

Sometimes one can't se the forest throught the trees as 'gndrod' pointed out, including myself, just pop in spare breakers. When you think about it price the cost of the breakers in with the job. They can't cost any more the $8 per pole space anyway and are not worth the time to worry about.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I periodically run across situations where an existing panelboard has had all the breakers pulled out and the box used as a junction box. Sometimes the cover will get screwed down so you can't access the wires without undoing the screws, other times when you open the cover the wires are just there.

Status
Not open for further replies.