GE Breaker Panel TM2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFJES

Have to install a two pole breaker for an oven hook up.
Panel is full and trying to find on the internet if this particular panel (see pics below) are rated for tandem breakers. Trying to save a good customer money by not putting in a sub-panel.
I have not been able to find this panel on the Net; although I am not very good at finding things. Not quite sure which numbers indicate the panel number. TM2010 TM2010C or the other numbers.
Also, the label is covered by many wires and it is quite difficult to get a good picture of it without my finger in the way to hold back the wires for a view.
Anyone have a cross-reference list or can point me to something on the net to assist me. Thanks so much.
20150913_100448.jpg

20150913_100506.jpg 20150913_101257.jpg

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Definitely not rated for tandems. GE has not even made a tandem breaker in 40+ years. They use a thin wafer style breaker (THQP) that requires a special buss connection which your panel does not have.

bphgravity

Have your performed a load calculation to ensure the service and equipment has the capacity for the additional load?

Perhaps there are a couple of 15A or 20A multi-outlet branch-circuits that can be "doubled-up" to free up two spaces in the panelboard?

norcal

Definitely not rated for tandems. GE has not even made a tandem breaker in 40+ years. They use a thin wafer style breaker (THQP) that requires a special buss connection which your panel does not have.

The panel may accept THQP breakers on the lower part of the panel it's certainly not possible to use a twin breaker in that panel in a code compliant manner, only the OP can verify or disprove that by removing a breaker to see if it will accept a THQP on the bottom or finding the label buried in the panel.

Here are a couple of photos of someone's attempt to use a Gould/ ITE twin in a GE panel. :happyno:

With the amount of material cut away, they could have saved some money & used a CTL type, the rejection clip would have come out. :(

AFJES

Thanks for letting me know.

The panel may accept THQP breakers on the lower part of the panel it's certainly not possible to use a twin breaker in that panel in a code compliant manner, only the OP can verify or disprove that by removing a breaker to see if it will accept a THQP on the bottom or finding the label buried in the panel.
Pulled breakers at top of panel and bottom of panel. All tabs are the same. Can't see any other labels in the panel but what the pics show.

Here are a couple of photos of someone's attempt to use a Gould/ ITE twin in a GE panel.
Not going to alter any breaker to try and get it to fit.

I am just going to recommend a sub panel installation. I believe that is the safest for this application. Clean and cut.

Thanks all.

kwired

Electron manager
That TM2010 marked on the cabinet may just be a number for the cabinet and is used with more then one panelboard that can be installed in it.

Not into GE panels all that much so I may be wrong, but other brands I am familiar with such a number marked on the cabinet only applies to the cabinet and not the panelboard installed within.

norcal

I was not suggesting that the OP was considering modifying a breaker to "fit" nor was I suggesting it be done, just posted what someone hacked up, I would still check if the panel will accept THQP breakers at the bottom, if it will then it's very simple compared w/ adding a subpanel if the panel accepts THQP.

AFJES

You want to put in a sub panel just to power up an oven? Why not just double up on a couple of circuits to free up some space?
Doubling up on a breaker; referring to putting two circuits to one breaker? I have heard that some breakers are rated for that. My mis-information in my interpretation of that is that #1-How do I know when a breaker is rated to have two circuits attached to it. #2-Having two circuits attached to it then means that two circuits have to share the full amperage rating of the one breaker thus not providing full amperage ability to each of the two circuits connected to the breaker? Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding-I would love to learn a bit better about this theory.

I was not suggesting that the OP was considering modifying a breaker to "fit" nor was I suggesting it be done, just posted what someone hacked up,
Sorry, read your post quickly and mis-interpretted what you said.

If those numbers (in my picture) on the inside of the box may just reference the cabinet panel and "not the guts" then how do I determine what breakers are acceptable in this panel?

cpinetree

Picture found on net of a burnt panel, ignore the burnt part. The ge thin breaker attaches to the buss on the short part of the buss 90 degrees from the main buss http://www.contractortalk.com/attachments/f5/43011d1297476345-scorched-contact-inside-breaker-panel-pict0175.jpg

The picture you took does not have the little nubs to attach a ge thin breaker.

See this picture of a double pole thin: https://hdsupplysolutions.com/1/1/12267-ge-50-amp-double-pole-thin-breaker-thqp-250.html the buss attachment is 90 degrees from a standard GE THQL breaker.

As a side note the thin double pole is designed so it will only fit so as to catch two different 110v legs of the panel. It must be installed between the regular horizontal bussing (sorry that may be as clear as mud, easier to point out then define in words :weeping:)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Doubling up on a breaker; referring to putting two circuits to one breaker? I have heard that some breakers are rated for that. My mis-information in my interpretation of that is that #1-How do I know when a breaker is rated to have two circuits attached to it.
If the breaker is allowed to have two wires under the screw it will say so on the breaker. GE breakers are not, but that does not mean you cannot double up two homeruns. Just wire nut the two homeruns together in the panel with and add a short pigtail to the breaker.

#2-Having two circuits attached to it then means that two circuits have to share the full amperage rating of the one breaker thus not providing full amperage ability to each of the two circuits connected to the breaker? Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding-I would love to learn a bit better about this theory.
The breaker only cares about how many amps are passing through it.

If you were to take one of the homeruns out of the panel, pull it up into the attic, add a junction box to an existing homerun, and tie it back in you would be good to go, right? That's a lot of extra work compared to using a wire nut and a pigtail in the panel.

Most circuits in a house are lightly loaded, so using one breaker instead of two to power up two bedrooms is rarely a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.