gas pipe bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Help guys/gals.... I say equiptment ground to any gas appliance is sufficent for gas pipe bonding. What are your local jurisdictions take on this? Getting heat from inspectors who say NO. They say the code specifically says to bond gas piping per 250-104(b)and the only piping allowed to be bonded through equiptment ground of circuit is what is refered to in (c) as "Other Metal Piping".
Even if the gas line required a seperate bond wire from any component of the grounding electrode system, section (b) doesn't reference you to a Table to base the size to be.
Anyway, I did a search om the Holt forum but would like a concensus or if someone has a solid reference for proper interpretation?
Thanks in advance...

sdbob

Re: gas pipe bonding

see NFPA 54-1996

or

2002 NEC

(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that may become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

Section 250.104(B) was revised for the 2002 Code to state that gas piping is treated exactly the same as all "other metal piping" systems within a building.

The question then becomes, which circuit "may" energize the piping? I would say pretty much most circuits in the building. Bond it to the grounding electrode. The rating of the circuit that may energize the system would likely be up to the AHJ, but logically either the largest circuit in the building or the service entrance size.

Status
Not open for further replies.