Gas meter near residential load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan kite

I recently looked into installing a new service for a customer and found the gas meter installed below the panal in the basement.I thought you needed 5' clearance from gas meters.Do I relocate the panal,and all its circuitry?

Nick

Re: Gas meter near residential load center

I don?t know of a 5? rule concerning gas meters and panels. It could be a local requirement or a requirement of your local utilities. I can tell you this is a violation of article 110.26. Either the gas meter and all of its piping need to move, or move the panel.

charlie

NFPA 54, the Fuel Gas Code, requires three feet of radial clearance from any spark producing devices where located inside. This would apply to any location where gas may be vented but not outside. The electric meter is not considered to be a spark producing device.

I am sure of the whole statement except the three feet (I don't have a copy of NFPA 54), it may be five but I am pretty sure it is three.

On top of this, Nick is absolutely correct. :( I think it would be more cost effective to relocate the gas meter.

gwz2

Charlie, My old 1988 edition of NFPA 54 , 2.7 Gas Meters. does not mention that the meters must be inside for the Gas meter to be located 3' from sources of ignition.

Trouble is, the NEC does not address the issue.

I guess it is only a hazard for the Gas meter and not for any spark making electrical equipment with-in 3' of a Gas meter.

Must only be an electrical hazard if the electrical initiated an electrical explosion, but this would be a Gas explosion.

[ February 27, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: gwz2 ]

charlie

Glenn, I am doing this from memory. We had this discussion with the EEI group and John Beck (San Diego Gas and Electric, former chair of CMP-4) informed us that the NFPA 54 rule was for inside only. Since the flow of air and gas fumes outside would be such that it would be impossible to collect an explosive concentration of fuel. For what it is worth, John also is on a panel (the panel?) of NFPA 54.

It was good seeing you again in Ft. Wayne. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.