Fused neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyno

Occupation
electrical contractor
Ive ask several people even the manufactor concerning a fused neutral in a 115 V factory installed fuse holder feeding a air dryer in a screw compressor control cabinet, I cannot see any benefits in doing this, any thoughts on this, why not just put a thermal strip to terminate the neutral

kwired

Electron manager
First this is probably listed as is.

But does it connect directly to neutral of the supply circuit or is it a separately derived control circuit within the unit? If separately derived is it actually a grounded conductor? If it is a two wire system technically there is no "neutral" but either conductor can still be grounded. I guess it is possible there is a grounded center tap and if so this control system could actually be 60 volts either conductor to ground but 120 between the ungrounded conductors, but guessing they used white or gray and is why you are calling it neutral whether it truly is neutral or not. Probably is still a grounded conductor though.

Dyno

Occupation
electrical contractor
more details, the unit calls for a 208V 3ph circuit for the compressor, then it asks for a separate 115V 1ph circuit for the dryer option which is to be terminated at a factory supplied 2 fuse block, one for the ungrounded conductor and one for the grounded conductor, why they don't just supply a terminal strip for the neutral, what if by chance the neutral fuse blows doesn't this become a hazard

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
@Dyno

I would wire it as is. But I would look for any approvals and listing for the equipment. It was probably listed and tested that way and it will be fine. As far as I know the NEC stops at the field wiring terminations.

There is a lot of packaged equipment with wierd wiring. many HVAC unit with line into the bottom of a contactor and load out the top etc.............

retirede

As a former EE for a compressor manufacturer, I agree with you questioning this.
Equipment I was responsible for would not be setup this way.
May I ask what brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.