"Functionally Associated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1

The phrase "functionally associated" is used in the Code 4 times, but is not defined (see NEC 620.3(A), 725.26(B)1), 725.26(B)(4) and 770.133(A)). This phrase has a long history; I understand it goes back to the 1978 NEC as a replacement for prior wording that first entered the NEC in about 1951. In my opinion, it is an inherently ambiguous phrase, and may require the AHJ to intervene and interpret. As a result, the phrase is unenforceable, or at best, a potential source for conflict. Bad Code. In a large industrial complex, can't it be argued that most or all of the cabling is "functionally associated"?

I believe the phrase "functionally associated" in 620.3(A) can be safely interpreted to mean associated with power conversion equipment. In this case, the intended meaning is in the context of its use. Its use in 770.133(A) is somewhat confined to conductors within the same cabinet, outlet box, panel, or similar equipment, which also tends to control the boundaries of "functionally associated".

My question is primarily in regard to the use of "functionally associated" in NEC 725.26(B)(4). Here, the scope of this phrase is NOT controlled by the context of its use. In this broad use, ?functionally associated? can mean different things to different people. Here is a typical example of a situation we may encounter in my specific line of work:
A manufactured skid with multiple mechanical equipment items is supplied as a complete assembly. The skid might include 1 main motor, 2 auxiliary motors (such as lube oil pumps), and a lube oil heater (all 480V). All power cables and Class 1 Remote Control and Signaling signals are in separate 600V type TC cables routed to a remote MCC via a common cable tray. This cable tray is also used to carry the power and control conductors of other nearby equipment (per NEC Chapter 3). Assume for this example that all cables are type TC (not metal-enclosed).

Regarding the above example, here are my questions.
(1) Are the power supply and Class 1 control conductors for the equipment contained within the manufactured skid all ?functionally associated?? I assume so.
(2) What about the conductors of other nearby equipment? This will likely be unassociated, right?
(3) What if that other nearby equipment was in a common service, such as a ?B? compressor?
In the above example, if any of the cables are determined to be unassociated, then 725.26(B)(4) will require a solid fixed barrier separating the Class 1 control conductors from the power supply conductors. What benefit is served? How is this safer? Worst case scenario is where the design is based on a conservative interpretation, but the AHJ, client and/or the inspector don't agree after the installation has been completed.

I plan to submit a proposal to delete 725.26(B)(4), on the grounds that ?functionally associated? is not defined, and is therefore unenforceable. Additionally, the current language unnecessarily restricts the use of combined power and control cable (composite cable), which is a common practice in our industry (industrial applications), and one that can save a significant installation time and material costs.

What are the risks to personnel or equipment if 725.26(B)(4) were to be deleted?

charlie

Re: "Functionally Associated"

From Merriam-Webster

functionally
2 : in a functional manner <a functionally designed auditorium>

associated
2 : to combine or join with another or others as component parts : UNITE <protons and neutrons with their encircling electrons associate together to form atoms G.W.Gray>

From Article 100
Scope. This article contains only those definitions essential to the proper application of this Code. It is not intended to include commonly defined general terms or commonly defined technical terms from related codes and standards.

Until a problem is substantiated in a proposal to change the Code to make it more clear, nothing will be done. Asking for a section to be deleted will probably not fly but a proposal to change something that is causing problems has a good chance of being accepted. Come up with new language that will accomplish what you desire and submit it along with good substantiation. The substantiation should show some of the problems encountered with the present wording.

Why not use the format in Proposals for the 2008 NEC part of the forum? We could then tear into your argument and you could then strengthen it for your actual proposal to the NFPA. :D

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Hector, it's good to see an old friend - welcome.

Art 725 is now under the jurisdiction of CMP3 and, as such, is far less influenced by the telecommunications industry as it has been for the last several cycles. It will still take some significant effort "proving a negative" to a CMP to have an entire Section removed. But you already know that. (Hector is a Principal on CMP9)

Art 725 was originally designed to reduce various installation requirements for power-limited circuits. Over the years it has become more a "signal protection" article rather than a safety one. Charlie is still right. Post over on the Proposals for the 2008 NEC section and we'll see how we can help make a sound substantiation.

eddie_g

I've discussed the term "functionally associated" with several CMP members recently. I agree there's a problem here that needs to be resolved. Given the problems I ran into last Code cycle trying to do this, I don't think completely deleting 725.26(B)(4) is possible.

I'm working on a proposal with several CMP members, approaching it from a different angle. It won't make the "functionally associated" issue go away, but it will offer relief to industrial users installing TC and MC cables with a mixture of Class 1 circuits and 600V power wiring in existing trays.

Eddie Guidry, Sugar Land, TX

[ July 21, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: eddie_g ]

Status
Not open for further replies.