Fuel storage cube (Stationary but might move in future).

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMELECT

Occupation
Electrician
I've wired plenty of permanent fuel storage tanks using explosion proof fittings, boxes and flex couplings but this projects has me asking a few questions. They will be storing gasoline and Diesel fuel in 3 tanks side by side. They are not bolted down and could be moved in the future. The units actually come with a 3 prong 6ft cord:unsure:.
My thought was to run rigid conduit with boxes and proper fittings for Class1 divison 1 /2 and to drop a flexible cord off at each tank using Type TC-ER-HC cable with listed flex fittings. This would make it somewhat movable in the future without using explosion proof outlet boxes and cord ends. Am I on the right path or am I missing something? Thanks

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 5

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
how is this any different than the fuel tanks people put in the back of their pickup trucks to refuel equipment on construction sites? they don't have anything that looks explosion proof on them to me.

Without checking the manufacturer's info, if those come with their own factory power cord and a generic plug, I'd guess they're designed to connect to a regular receptacle. (They probably have instructions about not being enclosed and free air circulation.)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, if it has a pump, and can dispense fuel, it must be wired in accordance with Article 514.
The only listing I see is to UL 142, but that just has to do with the double wall tank construction and not the dispensing pump and system.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In my opinion, if it has a pump, and can dispense fuel, it must be wired in accordance with Article 514.
The only listing I see is to UL 142, but that just has to do with the double wall tank construction and not the dispensing pump and system.

514.1 Scope. This article shall apply to motor fuel dispensing
facilities, marine/motor fuel dispensing facilities, motor fuel
dispensing facilities located inside buildings, and fleet vehicle
motor fuel dispensing facilities.

514.2 Definition.
Motor Fuel Dispensing Facility. That portion of a property
where motor fuels are stored and dispensed from fixed equipment
into the fuel tanks of motor vehicles or marine craft or
into approved containers, including all equipment used in
connection therewith.

I don't see how something that is made to be easily moved can be considered fixed equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see how something that is made to be easily moved can be considered fixed equipment.
I see no difference in the hazard just because you can move it, but I guess the code knows that gasoline vapors know that they can't misbehave when the tank they are in can be easily moved.

No mater what, I would want to see the listing information for the dispensing equipment, and I did not find anything when I looked.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I see no difference in the hazard just because you can move it, but I guess the code knows that gasoline vapors know that they can't misbehave when the tank they are in can be easily moved.

No mater what, I would want to see the listing information for the dispensing equipment, and I did not find anything when I looked.
I don't disagree with you on the possible hazard, just that it does not fit into article 514.

is dispensing equipment required to be listed?

RMELECT

Occupation
Electrician
The tanks (3) are side by side, and came with factory 6ft cords. I called the Company but they did'nt have any information reguarding wiring for a Class 1. They agreed with me about just sticking a regular GFI next to the tank wouldn't be a great Idea but said it was a gray area. My thought was to use type TC-ER-HL halo flex from the pump to an explosion proof box using listed fittings. If they need to be moved you would have to disconnect the cord and fill the hole with a blank filler.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not directly, but it is well within the authority of the inspector to require listing based on 110.2.
It is not within the authority the inspector to do anything of the sort. The authority having jurisdiction could do so but an inspector has no such authority. They might think they do but they do not.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is not within the authority the inspector to do anything of the sort. The authority having jurisdiction could do so but an inspector has no such authority. They might think they do but they do not.
In most cases the AHJ grants authority to the inspector to make interpretations of the code, and this a very common interpretation of 110.2 used in many areas. That is approved equals listed.

Where I am at the city council is the AHJ and there is very little electrical knowledge among the city commissioners. There is an electrical commission, that is required by the State of Illinois if your city wants to issue permits and inspect, and there is electrical knowledge on that commission, but it does not have the authority to adopt or amend the code, so it is not the AHJ.

Back to the fuel cubes-
Years ago, "explosion proof" was explained to me as trying to prevent any vapors from migrating and to contain them if they explode. In the free air of an outdoor site and with a cord-connect piece of equipment, there's little (any?) chance of vapors collecting in the receptacle/box unless it's at ground level and enclosed so vapors would be directed into it. Nor is there much (any?) change of vapors following a conduit anywhere.

517 seems to say that outdoors, the class I space is up to 18" above the floor, so put the receptacle 30" up and make sure there aren't any low walls that could contain the vapors.

(Also not mentioned, the fuel provider may have so insight to this question. 'course, they may not.)

Todd0x1

I've seen some rental places that keep these inside their warehouse full of diesel (and one with gas but its by the door and has a tall vent pipe (that's still inside) plugged into some old plastic outlet strip plugged into a broken receptacle on the wall. Nothing blowd up yet.....

I really like the fuel cubes, but man theyre expensive. For the cost of one I got a truck and a couple 110 gal aluminum DOT tanks and a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.