formula for lighting layout

JJWalecka

i have read about the Zonal Cavity Method...but is there an app or site that you can just plug in the numbers and get the layout?

thank you

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ask your wholesale house to have a lighting rep do the layout, of course it’s helpful to buy the luminaires from that wholesale house
The GE lighting catalog used to have instructions on lighting layout in the reference section

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
There so much information for this stuff, go to.
https://www.ies.org/
All depends on the job's. any small commercial or residential you won't higher an engineer for this.larger job this should already be planned out and your just the installer.
Its nice to know some/alot about lighting in residential world, most electricians just use down lights for inside and out and makes the house look like a cookie cutter home.

Last edited:

kelley

Occupation
Estimator
i have read about the Zonal Cavity Method...but is there an app or site that you can just plug in the numbers and get the layout?

thank you
RAB has a nice design tool on there website. You have to choose a fixture then plug in the room dimensions etc.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Have your supplier do it for you. They will send it off to (pick a brand) and return what you need. Having some idea of why the layouts are done the way they are will help the finished project.
I had a warehouse layout done just before I retired. Customer wanted to wait a year. Contractor that did the job just used all the same fixture so they wouldn't have to mess with several different. Fixtures designed for 30' ceilings were hung at 18' and lower. Cringe.