Following NFPA 70E

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdelaLCifelli

New User
Occupation
Safety Trainer
First, what are the age replacement requirements for the helmet inside the flash hood suit? It almost never sees light so UV breakdown is practically nill. Also, when replacing does it have to be a Arc rated helmet since it is inside the hood?

Second, I’m looking at NFPA Table 130.7 (c ) (16) and it looks like arc rated gloves aren’t even required until risk category 3; which (I believe) only applies at 600V or above. Is this accurate?

I’m wondering if we overkilled on our original program. Everything we have is 480V or less. And is seems like table 130.7 ( c) (15)(A)(a) states that as long as all covers are closed and the unit is working properly NO PPE is required to operate a breaker/transfer switch/contactor/starter.

So then if we removed a cover and worked in the panel/etc we would be good with:
<240: arc rated coverall + arc rated flash suit hood + safety glasses + ear plugs + leather gloves
240-600: arc rated coverall + arc rated flash suit hood + safety glasses + ear plugs + leather gloves + leather work shoes

But then if the arc flash boundary is only 3’ why do the boots matter if they’re out of that zone?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.