Fluorescent Lights short ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewSparky

Occupation
Electrician
I have a ghost I’m chasing. I’m getting 8000 ohms from hot to neutral on a fluorescent lighting circuit that’s tripping a gfci that feeds this sub panel. The other circuits have 0 ohms hot to neutral. When I disconnect the hr neutral the ohms go away. I meggered out the hr and got 2000+ mega ohms between hot and neutral (I isolated the neutral at the panel). And I get gigs ohms hot to ground and neutral to ground. Any thoughts on how to chase this further or what could be going on? It’s a lithonia reloc system.

synchro

Occupation
EE
... The other circuits have 0 ohms hot to neutral. When I disconnect the hr neutral the ohms go away.
It sounds like a short circuit from hot to neutral which will immediately trip the magnetic part of the breaker. Try a regular breaker and see if it trips that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a ghost I’m chasing. I’m getting 8000 ohms from hot to neutral on a fluorescent lighting circuit that’s tripping a gfci that feeds this sub panel. The other circuits have 0 ohms hot to neutral. When I disconnect the hr neutral the ohms go away. I meggered out the hr and got 2000+ mega ohms between hot and neutral (I isolated the neutral at the panel). And I get gigs ohms hot to ground and neutral to ground. Any thoughts on how to chase this further or what could be going on? It’s a lithonia reloc system.
maybe your ballast has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.