FLUKE-345 or equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I got a call yesterday that a 200 amp main of a 400 amp service tripped. She informed me this happens quite often and her husband keeps resetting it. reset and after 3 minutes with my ammeter reads 230 amp. This Panel has 2- Heat pumps/2-furnaces/2-hottubs- Plus general use outlets.. Panel next to it only has what looks to be kitchen equipment and general lighting. Was only there for a short time to see if it was a quick fix or not. When both heat pumps ran at same time is when it spiked.

So I would like to Migrate one of the Heat pumps to the other panel. Before I do that i was looking for a monitoring meter so i could make sure that the other panel can hold it. Nothing is labeled so I could trace everything out and do a load Calculation. I was hoping a 30 day usage would help out. Called Fluke they told me this would be the meter I Need at $3k :eek:

Any other meter you know that would help monitor this and not break the bank.

gar

Occupation
EE
201027-2330 EDT

All you need is a TED 1000 and a portable computer with battery to ride thru a power loss. TED 1000 should be available used. See plots P26 thru P29 at my website http://beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html .

Doing a Google search I did not find a good source, only available will be used. Need one that is "unlocked". However, you could use the MTU part of the system build a receiver decode the data stream. Data is once per second. More details on the data stream is at http://beta-a2.com/engry_b.html .

I would just move a hut tub to the other side, take some measurements and assume all looks good, call it a day. For some reason the NEC and all plan reviewers think an overload is the worst thing in the world.

For logging, you could get an ekm meter set up. Not quite as convenient as some of the other loggers, as they are more intended for sub metering, but they will measure demand. Should only be about $300. Ekmmetering.com

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are places that rent test equipment and unless you see a lot of monitoring in your future I would rent. You could also sub the monitoring out to another outfit, or do as electrofelon suggest.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.