Flourescent Light Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavey

We just replaced approx. 30 flourescent 2x2 fixtures with new 2x2 ( 3 17W T8). All the lamps are flickering ?????? We have the right voltage to nuetral and ground as well and there was no problems w/ the previous fixtures. Any suggestions why the lights are flickering ????????????

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is there any difference in the wattage (i.e., what was the wattage of the old fixture)? Is there any difference in the type of ballast?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I assume, by "replace", you mean that all the fixtures you installed are new, with new lamps.

"Flicker" is a little non-specific.

One possible flicker happens in the initial 300 to 600 hours that a lamp runs. The arc will gutter inside the tube resulting in an irregular, moving, twisting bright stripe spiraling along the fluorescent coating of the tube.

In many lamps, this is normal and dissappears with a little age.

adavey

We relaced the whole fixture. New ballasts are dual rated 120V-277V. The lamps we used comply w/ the lamp listing on the ballasts. It flickers so bad you think a "strobe" is going off.

We called the manufacturer and he came on site to inspect the problem. He had no idea as well. However, he said he would replace all the fixtures w/ new ballasts. I could see 1 or 2 ballasts go bad, but not 30+

Kessler4130

I have seen issues like this using shared neutrals on 277 volt flourescent lighting, that could be the cause of this but I certainly hope not :confused: . Alot of commercial/industrial applications now use seperate neutrals or sometimes even "super" neutrals (10 awg neutral with 12 awg circuit) for all thier 277 volt lighting.

adavey

Isn't the next larger size conductor for the nutreal used, as compared to the conductor size of the hots, for flourescent lighting ckt's due to excess current caused by the 3rd harmonic from the ballasts ????????

Kessler4130

adavey said:
Isn't the next larger size conductor for the nutreal used, as compared to the conductor size of the hots, for flourescent lighting ckt's due to excess current caused by the 3rd harmonic from the ballasts ????????

Honestly I have no idea, I just install what you engineers design. All I can offer is a theory with out actually seeing the lights myself. The times I saw it derived from a neutral issue it was more of a strobe effect than that of a flicker, more like the light was on and off not just low and high. Now in one case it was 3 lighting ckt's 3 seperate neutrals and the neutrals got swapped in a JBOX in the middle of a run. So for the sake of arguement lets just say the ckt was intended to be A "277v flourescent" B "277v flourescent" and C "277v Exit lights and wall packs". Well B and C traded neutrals and that was the cause of the problem.

How or what caused it was the swapped neutrals, why it does that ? Well that I cannot answer, I would let someone with an engineering backround field that one.

gndrod

Have you tried isolating one HR to one fixture to see if that one luminaire functions as it should? Let us know what happens. rbj, Seattle

I had a simular issue.
New lease space... Sylvania 120v 4 lamp t-8's all went bad in just months.
I called Sylvania & they sent new ballasts for everything but refused to cover labor charges.
I can only assume they are aware of a munufacturing defect

rr

adavey said:
We called the manufacturer and he came on site to inspect the problem. He had no idea as well. However, he said he would replace all the fixtures w/ new ballasts. I could see 1 or 2 ballasts go bad, but not 30+
A batch of bad ballasts can happen.

Just for fun, have you tried wiring in your old ballast to the new fixtures to see if you get the same result?

jeffhornsby

I seriously doubt it is harmonics if you want to check and do not have any testing equipment that analyzes harmonics use a ammeter and see if your neutral reading is higher than your hots, even with a higher reading I am not sure it would cause that.

It must be an existing building since you replaced the lights. If the original contractor used the conduit as the grounding condutor test voltage between the hot and the frame of the ballast.

If the lights are installed in area where the ambient temp is less than 50 F that can cause that effect unless the ballast is rated for low temp.

hillbilly

I replaced 4 (120V) fixtures for a customer in his garage. 3 of the 4 flickered on and off (like a strobe as you say). After checking the circuit, I switched the ballast from the working light to one of the others, and it worked. I then looked closer at the ballasts, and the 3 that didn't work were rated for 277V (not dual rated). The box that they came in said the fixtures were 120V! I won't give the brand, but it rhymes with a northern state.
Re-check the ballasts.
steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If they are only flickering (not strobing on and off) I would let them run for a day and see if it goes away. I have also heard this can be an initial "burn-in" thing.

Steve

haskindm

Is the temperature in the room within the specifications of the ballast. I once saw a fluorescent fixture that had the Air Conditioner blowing directly on it, it look just like a Barber Pole!

adavey

We installed new ballasts from Sylvania (Dual Voltage Rating) and the flicker problem is fixed. I've never seen a batch of bad ballasts before (luckily it was only thirty +). I still don't know why the electrician kept putting them up when they didn't work properly ????????? I guess now the electrician is getting paid twice.

hockeyoligist2

adavey said:
We installed new ballasts from Sylvania (Dual Voltage Rating) and the flicker problem is fixed. I've never seen a batch of bad ballasts before (luckily it was only thirty +). I still don't know why the electrician kept putting them up when they didn't work properly ????????? I guess now the electrician is getting paid twice.

He probably figured they would stop flickering. I have put in a lot, especially in the winter, where they were real cold from being on the truck. and they flickered about an hour or so then they were ok!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
haskindm said:
Is the temperature in the room within the specifications of the ballast. I once saw a fluorescent fixture that had the Air Conditioner blowing directly on it, it look just like a Barber Pole!

A project was just recently completed. After looking across the ceiling at the recessed lights (lithonia avante style lights), most had a yellowish color. But some of the lights were notably bluer. I thought they had used different lamps in those fixtures. The electrician pointed out that every light that was bluer was right next to a supply diffuser!!

Steve

Shoe

I've had a similar problem with (3) 17W T8 lamps using Sylvania ballasts. There were 85 fixtures on the job, wired at 277V, and they all flickered. Sylvania had investigated and came back with the following analysis:
Failure Analysis Report No.: 1016

Open Date: April 4, 2006

Ballast Model: QTP3X32T8/UNVPSX-SC
Lamp Type: FO17/835/XPS/ECO

Customer Failure Description:
The FO17 lamps flicker.

Team:
Shashank Bakre ? R&D Engineer
Erwin Quidayan ? Warranty Technician
Teo Serrano ? Senior Warranty Technician

Analysis:
Received 9 units from the site. Confirmed that flicker occurs with FO17 lamps. No flicker with FO32 lamps tested with ballasts.

Further analysis revealed that these units were QTP4X32T8/UNVPSX-SC (4LPSX) that had been converted to QTP3X32T8/UNVPSX-SC (3LPSX) for operating 3XFO32W/XPS and SS lamps. This was done in 2005 due to production shortages on the 3LPSX model.

The converted 3LPSX may have some issues while driving 3XFO17W XPS lamps at input voltages of 277V or higher (resulting in low input power < 44W) because of instability in the Power Factor Correction (PFC) circuit which depends on the tolerances of the PFC chip. This will result in a flicker effect in the lamp.

This problem is limited to 3LPSX ballasts which had been converted from 4LPSX units.

The converted 3LPSX ballasts will not have any problems driving 3XFO32W XPS lamps because this operation is within the operating power range of the original 4LPSX ballast.

Conclusion:
To correct this problem Osram Sylvania will replace the 3LPSX ballasts presently operating FO17 lamps with the original QTP3X32T8/UNVPSX-SC ballast. These units are not converted from 4LPSX.

Production resumed on the original 3LPSX in March 2006. Therefore 3LPSX ballasts with date codes 0611 and later will not have any problems operating 3XFO17W XPS lamps at any rated given voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.