Florida limited energy (low voltage) contractor license limitations and 120V........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whichwyasup

New User
Occupation
Alarm Operations Coordinator
I have asked this question to a couple of other contractors of the last couple of days yes some say no but, they do it anyway.

(7) “Certified alarm system contractor” means an alarm system contractor who possesses a certificate of competency issued by the department. The scope of certification is limited to alarm circuits originating in the alarm control panel and equipment governed by the applicable provisions of Articles 725, 760, 770, 800, and 810 of the National Electrical Code, Current Edition, and National Fire Protection Association Standard 72, Current Edition. The scope of certification for alarm system contractors also includes the installation, repair, fabrication, erection, alteration, addition, or design of electrical wiring, fixtures, appliances, thermostats, apparatus, raceways, and conduit, or any part thereof not to exceed 98 volts (RMS), when those items are for the purpose of transmitting data or proprietary video (satellite systems that are not part of a community antenna television or radio distribution system) or providing central vacuum capability or electric locks; however, this provision governing the scope of certification does not create any mandatory licensure requirement.

The math on the 98V RMS equals 138V ish, So my question is can we adapt an existing circuit? I'm a fire alarm contractor, we recently installed a 120V wireless communicator to an existing fire alarm panel. we ran approximately 5' of 12/2 MC off the existing fire alarm circuit, upon inspection the local AHJ refused to pass us stating I can not touch 120V with my license. We have agreed to replace the equipment with the low voltage equivalent. We have installed hundreds of these communicators of the years. Applying this logic I can't replace a damaged board or power supply as I'm not licensed to disconnect the 120V feeding the equipment.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The math on the 98V RMS equals 138V ish, So my question is can we adapt an existing circuit?
Welcome to the forum.

Legally, no. Line voltage is the RMS voltage. You're a low-voltage contractor. They specify 98v to specifically exclude you from doing line-voltage work. You need to hire (or become) an electrical contractor; again, legally speaking.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Welcome!

Using the example you posted…

The math on 120V RMS equals 170V ish…

that’s way over 138 ish…😉

Status
Not open for further replies.