Florida license CREDIT REPORTS???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i am thinking of moving my small electrical contracting business to the South Florida area. In my efforts trying to get licensed in Florida for the state masters electrician, I see the state requires credit reports. My credit is not terrible but somewhat damaged and under repair. How much are these reports weighed on the application? Should i expect to get no chance to take test until credit is in good standing. :confused:

bphgravity

Re: Florida license CREDIT REPORTS???????

If you are applying to take the Unlimited Contractors License (EC) exam, you will most likely not be able to even sit for the exam without a "passing" credit score. Who or how "passing" is determined is apparently privileged information.

If you are planning on taking the Master Electrician exam (ER) you will most likely be able to sit for the exam, however it may come into question when applying for the actual license itself from the state.

I have been told off the record that credit scores indicate personal character and how the license holder may handle financial affairs of the contracting business in the future. You are also required to have a net worth and quantifiable assests to obtain the EC license.

vsullivan

I hold a certified electrical contractor's license in Florida. While the Contractor's Board for General Contractors performs credit checks, the state electrical board does not. So, even if your credit is in need of repair you should be able to get approved.

You are saying that the State does not perform credit checks? The county will? how about if i apply for a county registered license? What are my best options? Thanks guys

bphgravity

Actually, the state and local boards check the financial status of all applicants. As a matter of fact, the EC is much more involved verses the ER. The ER applicaton only requires a simple personal and business credit report from any of the recognized credit bureaus to be filled at the time you apply to take the local ER exam provided by Experior Assessments.

Per the FL admin code section 61G-5.003(2)(a)and(b): "Every applicant must submit a comprehensive financial statement reflecting the financial condition of the individual applicant during the previous fiscal year.... ....A credit report on the applicant from any recognized credit bureau which includes but is not limited to liens, judgments, suits, and bankruptcy obtained from the county, state, and federal records.....

Status
Not open for further replies.