Floor outlet - NEC requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kweathers

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can a floor outlet be recessed beneath an accessible/removable finished floor panel as part of the required general use outlets along a wall space? Obviously following 210.52, possibly 406.5, not seeing exact requirements as far as height, accessibility or if this would pass code. This would still be in a finished box below the flooring between floor joist, just not surface mounted in the finished flooring. Thanks for the help!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you talking about one that would be flush with the floor? They do make recessed boxes that the cover plate is flush and the receptacle is recessed in the box. Legal per code if installed per the floor spacing requirements.

1666800214557.png

kweathers

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Correct... a pocket under the finish floor with a removable piece of matching flooring and the outlet under. I know they make floor boxes with lids also for commercial applications that allow a cord to be plugged into and outlet under the sealed lid. Still unsure if/why this would be an issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Correct... a pocket under the finish floor with a removable piece of matching flooring and the outlet under. I know they make floor boxes with lids also for commercial applications that allow a cord to be plugged into and outlet under the sealed lid. Still unsure if/why this would be an issue.
I don't see an issue if the distance from the receptacle within the pocket to the wall doesn't exceed 18".

kweathers

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree Rob... The only thing I was thinking was accessible, readily accessible, UL listing, or something the AHJ may come up with in another code section

HEYDOG

I agree Rob... The only thing I was thinking was accessible, readily accessible, UL listing, or something the AHJ may come up with in another code section
I would check with the AHJ to see what their take is on it. Then you will know for sure if their is going to be an issue! I always make sure that I talk to the AHJ that will be inspecting the job!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no requirement for the receptacle to be readily accessible. It's accessible and it would count for the 6'/12' spacing rule. 210.52(A)(3) says that the receptacle can be in or on the floor and still count as long as the 18" maximum distance is met.

210.52(A)(3) Floor Receptacles.
Receptacle outlets in or on floors shall not be counted as part of the required number of receptacle outlets unless located within 450 mm (18 in.) of the wall.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
a pocket under the finish floor with a removable piece of matching flooring and the outlet under
If truly hidden, then no. i.e. a person walks into the room with an electrical object and needs to plug it in and the owner (only one who knows it is there) is not around. So out comes the extension cord. Need instructions for owner to tell their kids and also pass information to new owners upon selling? Or maybe can not sell because the home inspector the realtor hires notices no receptacle in 12 feet?

Make it noticable, but not stand out ugly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If truly hidden, then no. i.e. a person walks into the room with an electrical object and needs to plug it in and the owner (only one who knows it is there) is not around
I agree there needs to be some degree of obviousness. It cannot be completely hidden in the floor to the point that no one would know that it's there.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If truly hidden, then no. i.e. a person walks into the room with an electrical object and needs to plug it in and the owner (only one who knows it is there) is not around. So out comes the extension cord. Need instructions for owner to tell their kids and also pass information to new owners upon selling? Or maybe can not sell because the home inspector the realtor hires notices no receptacle in 12 feet?

Who besides the owner (or household) would need to know the receptacle is there? I think you're stretching it a bit here.

farmantenna

Maybe I'll put wall receptacle(s) behind decorative access panels for a cleaner look. They'll blend in with the wall. Same thing and not code compliant. That's my opinion.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

IF . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.