Floor boxes in Slab on grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

threader612

Hi Guys
Looking for some suggestions on setting and ridgidly securing my Wiremold RFB boxes on slab on grade before pour. Always great to hear different ideas
Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Buy a bag if premix mortor and use it to hold the box in place until the real pour.

Mortor is better than concrete for this becuse it has no stones to get in the way.

cadpoint

Depends on how crazy the job is, like if you have a second party watching the GC.

Review the spec's of the job and be sure that they picked the right box for the job. Most floor boxes are more for electronics, Television, TV cable, VOP, or internet and the power is usually a nasty second aspect IMO!

Be sure to check the Architectural Finish Schedule drawing for what is the type material that will be used on the floor! Exact carpet, exact type; exact finished depth of and type of carpet, or PVC tile, or if it marble or ever a stone tile.

Be sure to note all this in a letter to the GC that your setting this box to said drawing, sheet number and seal date. Be sure to note that this same sheet has not been revised since the drawing package came out!

Have the GC check the finished elevation with a transit. I wouldn't use jet line getting it level
because it spins and not as accurate as string.

What I'm trying to say is that make sure the box and the pipe runs out will work.

Last job, designer put a knee high junction box out of floor box to a column space that wouldn't work because it would have had to remove structural bearing members wrapping the column.

So review that you distribution of the implied circuit runs are correct. Watch the type of wiring and be sure not to mix ?low voltage? with power circuit if a various junction box if used.

Over strap all pipes around junction box the concrete guy will not care, even if pipe is buried deep under foundation rock ask the GC to inform you of the pour date to be there!

J.P.

Friday I trimmed out a floorbox that was installed flush with the concrete. Not the flooring, just the concrete. I had to make extension so my cover would be solidly mounted. Took some time that I shouldn't have had to spend.

Make sure flush is where you want to be.

I prefer install them so they stick up further than needed. It is easy to cut them off when you are trimming out.

I stake it down with pieces of rebar and make sure to duct tape the covers on the boxes.

It is a good idea to have a final look after they put in the rebar for the flooring. Be there for the pour if you can.

iwire

Staff member
I prefer install them so they stick up further than needed. It is easy to cut them off when you are trimming out.

For sure when they are plastic that is the only way to go. But many cannot be cut and to high is worse than too low.

threader612

Thank you all

Thank you all

I'm actually a super and have been doing this for 37 years but I really like throwing things out there to see what kind of things i might not know. Working with the Wiremold 9 gang casts right now and just wanted to know if anyone knew of any new support methods.
Appreciate the input guys!!

tkb

I would set these on the large patio blocks, then anchor them down and mortar them in.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
We used to use 18x18 pavers under each floor box. Worked out great. We could have an apprentice mount the floor boxes to the paver and then install.

Status
Not open for further replies.