Floor Box Fire Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwenzel

Hello,

I have a customer that installed round non-metallic Carlon floor boxes into concrete (above grade if that matters). The inspector is claiming that these boxes cannot be used because they do not carry a fire rating. The boxes are sunk into the floor but do not penetrate through the floor. Is there any validity to what the inspector is saying? If not, where in the code can I find documentation that a fire rating is not required for floor boxes that do not penetrate the floor? If what he is saying IS valid then what options do I have to fire rate what is already installed i.e. foam, caulk, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Logan

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The answers are going to depend on where they are installed. A single family home has no rating requirements. If it's in a condo or apartment, there is a one hour rating between units.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What does the manufacturers info, listing, and instructions say about the boxes intended installation and use?

Roger

mgookin

The answers are going to depend on where they are installed. A single family home has no rating requirements. If it's in a condo or apartment, there is a one hour rating between units.

That one hour requirement applies to the tenant separation requirement when both tenants are residential. Other occupancy classifications may have other requirements.

The construction type may require a floor/ ceiling rating greater than one hour.

OP: We need lots more info.
How many stories is the building?
What's in the building? Is it condos? Offices? Munitons factory?
Do you have a full set of plans? If yes, see if there's a "Building Code Analysis" on the front page and tell us the construction type and rating requirement for floor/ ceiling assemblies.
How much concrete is under your box? (between your box and the tenant space below)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That one hour requirement applies to the tenant separation requirement when both tenants are residential. Other occupancy classifications may have other requirements.

The construction type may require a floor/ ceiling rating greater than one hour.

OP: We need lots more info.
How many stories is the building?
What's in the building? Is it condos? Offices? Munitons factory?
Do you have a full set of plans? If yes, see if there's a "Building Code Analysis" on the front page and tell us the construction type and rating requirement for floor/ ceiling assemblies.
How much concrete is under your box? (between your box and the tenant space below)
You are correct, in my head I was thinking residential for some reason. Could be a B over and A or visa versa or a residential over a commercial. Many scenarios are possible.

lwenzel

Resolved

Resolved

After speaking with my contractor again late yesterday it would appear that he misinterpreted the email he received from the inspector and it wasn't the boxes themselves that were wrong but the installation. He used chunks of wood 2x4 to raise the boxes and the inspector didn't like this. He needs to go back and pour concrete or find a metal spacer.

To answer your questions:

The building is a 12 story all concrete multi-family unit with no commercial space

There is at least 2 inches of concrete between each box and the floor below

What I learned from this situation is that Wiremold is the only major company that manufactures fire rated floor boxes. With that said, no one else I have talked to can explain why Wiremold took it upon themselves to manufacture such a product given that nowhere in the code does it state that a floor box needs to be fire rated. If the floor is penetrated you'd use a fire rated poke-thru but if not, the concrete is the fire barrier.

Also after speaking with 2 mfgs regarding filling the box with a fire-stop material, none made are UL listed for such an application.

So, in the event that an inspector is rejecting non fire-rated floor boxes that do not penetrate the floor, ask him to clarify exactly what the problem is!

Thanks for your responses,

Logan

JFletcher

nowhere in the code does it state that a floor box needs to be fire rated.

Life and Safety and building codes are roundabout mentioned in the NEC (with firestopping, penetrations, mfg instructions), but no, you wont find a lot of specifics. ty for the follow-up and the Wiremold rated boxes... will try to file that away with the plethora of other things I am learning now. and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.