Flexible conduit C1D2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Art 50.10 B1 and B2 mentions 2 items I always assumed were not permitted 1st. flexible metal conduit is permited in C1D2 area. Are they talking about Greenfield/ sealtight?..... 2nd Art 501.10B1 mentions that RMC No thread fittings can be used with conduit. Am I reading this correctly? If so Are these methods allowed in Art 514 fuel dispenser area is considered C1D2.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Listed FMC and LFMC [Arts 348 and 350] have been acceptable in Class I, Division 2 for a long time.

Technically, “Threadless” RMC was recently recognized and depends on the NEC edition in-force. It should be acceptable under Section 500.8(A)(3) but may not be in some jurisdictions.

Where seals are required threading is still necessary, so applications under Article 514 may occasionally require threaded connections. (This applies in all hazardous areas where threadless connectors are otherwise acceptable.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Listed FMC and LFMC [Arts 348 and 350] have been acceptable in Class I, Division 2 for a long time.

Technically, “Threadless” RMC was recently recognized and depends on the NEC edition in-force. It should be acceptable under Section 500.8(A)(3) but may not be in some jurisdictions.

Where seals are required threading is still necessary, so applications under Article 514 may occasionally require threaded connections. (This applies in all hazardous areas where threadless connectors are otherwise acceptable.

I know it all depends on AHJ.... but lets use art 514 for example. Could FMC be used passed seal off inside dispenser? It may be approved I just have never seen it except in intrinically safe area.

MTW

Your conduit and fittings need to be listed for the use, on the package, catalog page or cut sheet. You need that label to prove to the AHJ that you are using the correct materials, not every brand is approved (paying for the listing).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I know it all depends on AHJ.... but lets use art 514 for example. Could FMC be used passed seal off inside dispenser? It may be approved I just have never seen it except in intrinically safe area.
Inside the dispenser is Class I, Division 2, but often the seals and the origination point of any flexible connection is in a pit below the dispenser and that pit is Class I, Division 1 requiring the use of a flexible coupling and not permitting LFMC or FMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.