flashers&lube for light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a flasher that can wired into a 120vac circuit for "stop&go" lights used on a loading dock.We are using these small button flashers now that go into the bottom of the screw shell,they burn out to quickly and are a pain to get in and out of the fixtures socket. The flashers cost around $6.00ea and there are 55 bays each with its on set of lights.Would placing a rectifier in the circuit and changing the ac to dc have any effect on making the bulbs last longer
Is there a lube I can put on light bulbs metal screw shell before installing them?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: flashers&lube for light bulbs

The traffic signal industry uses a small "brick" solid state flasher. They last for years. They are not UL listed, and would have to be mounted in a small NEMA enclosure, on a back panel (to dissapate heat) with conductive jel. Cost is about $25, they are made by Electro Systems, part TF-9-60, for a ten amp 2 pole flasher.

Also if you use a lamp with a brass base it will be easier to remove. Try a traffic signal lamp, also they are rated for 8,000 hours.

noxx

Tom's got all the answers handy, I'm going to have to start bringing all my girlfriend questions here as well.

G

Tom will have to create that new forum category called "FUN STUFF" for those questions ;)

rrrusty

Everyone has some body oil and I suggest that prior to screwing a lamp into a base wipe your finger on the side of your nose or on your forehead and then wipe the oil on to the lamp base; it also works on the fishing pole before you put the 2 pcs together so the pole comes apart easier

big jim

You might want to investigate replacing your incadescents with LED lamps. We changes our 100+ docks and replacement is now just about nil. They are a little pricy up front but you save big time on maintenance and electricty. You might even find someone who would supply a flashing version - no extra flasher required.

Status
Not open for further replies.