Flangeless recess for wood ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Looking for any suggestions on a flangeless recessed light for wood ceilings. Preferably square, 0-10v warm dimming, and 2”-3” aperture.

I’ve found a couple but they’re above $400/ea. My wife will have words if I spend that much on lighting. I may end up trying to route a square trim flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
you have the internet at your finger tips, I shop for products all the time that will perform to my interest. I just typed in flangeless recessed light, shopping many under 100 ea.

Try this - shopping flangeless recessed

The stuff you are seeing for $100 is just the trim. Flangeless fixtures for solid surfaces is quite different than flangeless for drywall/plaster, which is 99% of what you’re seeing.

I have found some, but asking specifically if anyone here has used a particular model they could recommend that isn’t several hundred dollars. It may not exist at the price point I’m looking for, which is ideally would be $250 or less for fixture and trim.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Will the opening in the wood have a frame? If so, maybe you can hide the flange behind it.

Are you asking about a frame for the fixture itself? There is an attic above, so I could use new or remodel housing.

I’m thinking it may be worthwhile to make a test setup and see if I can build a jig to route something like a Juno 2” dead flush with the wood.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I'm talking about the appearance from below. What do you want the finished installation to look like?

Preferably flangeless, but at least have the bottom of the trim flush with the ceiling & paint matched.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I guess ketra is out. Real nice Human Centric Lighting. Awesome Awesome stuff, but I got a quote to do a new high end house and it works out to be about $800 per fixture. I did find other brands that had flush trims that get embedded into the drywall mud. Ill try to dig them up.

https://www.ketra.com/led-lighting-products

kwired

Electron manager
Flange is to cover deviations in the cutout, even if not much of a flange that just means less room for mistakes.

Flangeless would mean no imperfections at all or they will show, how much might depend on other details though. When light is on it might be too bright to look directly at it and notice.

mikeames

Occupation
Flange is to cover deviations in the cutout, even if not much of a flange that just means less room for mistakes.

Flangeless would mean no imperfections at all or they will show, how much might depend on other details though. When light is on it might be too bright to look directly at it and notice.
Some of the "flangeless" have a flange that is embedded into the drywall mud. The fixture is then above. So it appears flangeless, but it was put in during drywall and so the opening is perfect.

kwired

Electron manager
Some of the "flangeless" have a flange that is embedded into the drywall mud. The fixture is then above. So it appears flangeless, but it was put in during drywall and so the opening is perfect.
Don't think you are going to have that sort of install in wood, unless you set it in the tree and let it grow around it.

mikeames

Occupation

d0nut

Depending on the space above the ceiling and the access you will have, you could look at a surface mount or pendant mount square light that you could mount above the wood ceiling so the bottom will be flush with the ceiling.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I guess ketra is out. Real nice Human Centric Lighting. Awesome Awesome stuff, but I got a quote to do a new high end house and it works out to be about $800 per fixture. I did find other brands that had flush trims that get embedded into the drywall mud. Ill try to dig them up.

https://www.ketra.com/led-lighting-products

I won’t be using a control system capable of HCL. I definitely thought about it; that may be something for down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.