Fishing Pier lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Working on a design for a fishing pier in a residential area. I believe the pier will be shared with the public as well. I’ve been searching for lighting requirements, I thought lighting was required since it’s in an area of water that boats travel. There is no other shore power that will be provided on the pier. The owner wants to keep the lighting minimal and only do what’s required by code. I looked through the areas zoning requirements, I didn’t see anything. The plan has been submitted for a zoning approval and there was no mention of any lighting to be addressed in the response to the submission which listed conditions to be addressed.

Can someone direct me to any code requirements , coast guard etc that may give me some info. Even if nothing is required I would still
Like to propose the standard practice if there is one. If I had to finish it up quickly with no additional research, I think I will put two red signal lights (as close to the datum
Line As possible per section 555) and two pathway/bollards at the end of the pier for security/safety.

Any help is appreciated

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Sounds like a good application for solar/battery lighting.

Your correct , the owner would like that, one of the reasons I’m trying to determine any code requirements , if none exist , then he will probably go that route.

I found this in the CFR, “code of federal regulations” I’ve never referenced it, in terms of design requirements and I’m not sure how it’s enforced, but it seems applicable on the surface. I’m guessing it’s one of those things that doesn’t get checked/caught in plan review but after everything’s done , they will get a citation from the coast guard or something...?

33 CFR § 118.65 - Lights on fixed bridges

(b) Pier lights. When the navigable channel extends from pier to pier or when piers are located within the navigable channel, each end of such piers shall be lighted with a red light. Each such light shall show through a horizontal arc of 180°, and shall be securely fastened at the end of the pier as low as practicable but not lower than 2 feet above navigable high water to show 90° on either side of a line parallel to the axis of the channel so as to be visible from an approaching vessel.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
The direction I got was “boats will be coming down though there “ I’m going to do some digging but I took that as located in navigable channel

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Article 555 and 682 each have to be complied with if providing power out onto the dock or pier. Seems it would be a good location for low voltage lighting or as others stated a LV solar application. Biggest issue from most individuals looking to have power out onto their dock is the requirements of 555.24(3). I'd get the comment, "What do you mean no swimming? Why?"
It would seem reasonable guidance to look to 680 requirements with regards to LV lighting, not necessarily an enforcement requirement but good guide for limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.