FIshing Factory Power Cords in wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

customacoustix

I have heard a lot of debate on this issue, 90% of which everyone has stated that, at least with the PLasma And LCD TV's, It is against the Electrical Code to run/fish a factory UL rated power cord through a wall.

I am somewhat new to the industry and am a little currious as to the actuall code and what the UL and CL stand for.

I know that a CL rated wire is safe to be fished but does all low voltage type Audio/Video Cables need to be CL rated also or does this rating only apply to high voltage lines. Like the power cord.

I have been installing Panamax Powerkits to get around this issue, running Romex wire through the wall.

I don't believe I need to have certified electricians to install these kits for me because the kit does not tie into the house electrical it merely extends the power cord.
you can view the kit @
http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=22&sec=detail&id=221&ly=h

Please help!!!

Cory

iwire

Staff member
Re: FIshing Factory Power Cords in wall

ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables
I. General

400.1 Scope.

This article covers general requirements, applications, and construction specifications for flexible cords and flexible cables.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1)As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2)Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3)Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

(4)Where attached to building surfaces
Exception: Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of 368.8.

(5)Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

(6)Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code

pierre

I read some of the installation instructions and the first sentence says to have an electtrician perform the wiring.

The data sheets also mention that the items are "UL Approved". There is no such thing as UL Approved, just UL Listing.

jbwhite

Originally posted by greeny:
How are you supposed to secure the old work box if you have a big hole adjacent to it?
your not. make the hole bigger and use a nail up box. the wall needs fixed anyway.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

"I don't believe I need to have certified electricians to install these kits for me because the kit does not tie into the house electrical it merely extends the power cord. "
Who can install and if a permit is required is determined by the your local electrical regulations. It varies by state and city. I would suggest you enquire. You may be in violation, a fire from your work could be costly.
The questions you are ask indicate you do not have a clear understanding of the NEC.
I do belive this issue is one that the entire industry will have to deal with due to the popularity of flat panel TV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.