Firestop Caulking around entire device boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aledrell

Super texts me yesterday and says the inspector said to remember and firestop caulk around all electrical boxes in the common wall of a residential duplex.
I’ve never heard of this requirement before, I was hoping someone could enlighten me. Ofcourse there’s no reference to this requirement on the approved plans. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
hmmm... I'm wondering if he is taking 300.21 "... Openings around electrical penetrations into or through fire-resistant-rated walls, partitions, floors, or ceilings shall be firestopped... " as including the box as a penetration through the wall.

I did find this... 1620921524467.png at https://coderedconsultants.com/insights/firestopping-faq/

But at the end of the day, you should talk it out with your AHJ.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Correct, since most don't know how to build a "listed" sheet rock box around an outlet box, recessed can, etc.
Even if you do know how, the labor time to build a box of double thickness FireX sheet rock with properly staggered seams just doesn't make it worth it, unless you've got a something larger than a 4x4 or 5x5.

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
Super texts me yesterday and says the inspector said to remember and firestop caulk around all electrical boxes in the common wall of a residential duplex.
I’ve never heard of this requirement before, I was hoping someone could enlighten me. Ofcourse there’s no reference to this requirement on the approved plans. Thx.

See 300.21 (2020 NEC)

So your AHJ is the one you have to please. I find, as previously mentioned, putty pads work best.

Note that 314.21 may have some bearing here.

Aledrell

See 300.21 (2020 NEC)

So your AHJ is the one you have to please. I find, as previously mentioned, putty pads work best.

Note that 314.21 may have some bearing here.

Thank you. I found a 20 pack of 7”x7” putty pads on Amazon for $64.
Sucks to be the guy who get a kiss from me that day. Here’s some playdo pads, go coat all those boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.