Fire Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Where can I get information on fire walls, such as, definition of, where required, how to install recepts and switches in, penetrating, etc?

ryan_618

Where required is a bit tricky. It depends on many things, such as the height and area of a building, depending of the type of construction, occupant load, incidental use areas, fire sprinklers, etc.
The definition of a fire wall is quite specific, but you probably don't need to know the details of fire wall vs. fire barrier vs. fire partition. Any rated wall is more or less treated the same as far as penetrations are concerned.

sandsnow

Check the wall schedule. It should call out if it is fire resistive and hourly rating.
Then double check against the door schedule to see if there is a rating on the door.
Some bldgs are required to be of one hour construction, but not all the walls require protected openings.
Example is a Type V 1 Hour bldg. All walls are one hour however only some of the walls such as a corridor would be required to have protected openings.

Penetrations have to be protected with a firestop system. Ask the firestop manufacturers for a system. The typical firestop catalog will have the systems in there.

Outlet boxes have to be mounted to a framing member. Boxes can never be installed back to back. Maintain 24" seperation and limit the aggregate openings to 144 s.inches and individual box size to 16 s. inches.

The putty pads will allow deviation from the above except for the back to back prohibition.

Check out Chapter 7 of the ICC building code and the UL fire resistance directory

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
sandsnow said:
Outlet boxes have to be mounted to a framing member. Boxes can never be installed back to back. Maintain 24" seperation and limit the aggregate openings to 144 s.inches and individual box size to 16 s. inches.

The putty pads will allow deviation from the above except for the back to back prohibition.

So these are the basic ground rules regarding firewalls? I assume that in multi family dwellings, common walls are fire walls? Is there any deviation between plastic nail on boxes and steel boxes? What about placing a panel in a firewall? I'm working on a multi family dwelling that is a motel to condo conversion and there is a 8" block wall that is furred out with 2X4's on both sides that is the common wall between units. This is the wall where the panel is shown to be installed. I'm trying to communicate with the architect but so far can't catch him.

m73214 said:
Where can I get information on fire walls, such as, definition of, where required, how to install recepts and switches in, penetrating, etc?
Go online to places like Hilti, 3m, firestop. they have useful products for firestop systems. The Building code determines the rating of the fire seperation assemblies.

marinesgt0411

m73214 said:
So these are the basic ground rules regarding firewalls? I assume that in multi family dwellings, common walls are fire walls? Is there any deviation between plastic nail on boxes and steel boxes? What about placing a panel in a firewall? I'm working on a multi family dwelling that is a motel to condo conversion and there is a 8" block wall that is furred out with 2X4's on both sides that is the common wall between units. This is the wall where the panel is shown to be installed. I'm trying to communicate with the architect but so far can't catch him.

sounds to me like the block wall is your fire wall and the stud wall has nothing to do with the fire rating and be treated as a regular wall if no holes in block wall no problem.

sandsnow

Common walls between units do not always require protected openings. You need to ask either the architect or inspector.

The block wall would be the fire resistive wall and the panel could go in the furring no problem.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Guys, your answers are greatly appreciated as always. I did get in touch with the architect and he agreed that the block wall with 2X4 furring would be a safe place to install the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.