Fiber to copper at edge device?

DJB2nd

Occupation
AV / IT Designer
I am looking for a fiber-to-copper media converter for use in a junction box serving a security camera. I am estimating 500 feet of hybrid fiber to drive a standard ethernet Axis camera. What do you recommend?

Same question for a security phone 600 feet away.

What device(s) are you using?

I appreciate your thoughts.

DJB2nd

Occupation
AV / IT Designer
Have you considered a call to cdw?
Not to CDW, they are not on my radar.
I googled the death out of this before asking on the forum. It kept giving me the same few items none of which were what would work. Since asking on some other forums, I have found a few possible answers. It is nice when people share what has worked for them.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
More details needed....Is this it's own box? what is powering it? Is it sharing a box with 120V? Is this outdoor?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Buy an unmanaged ethernet switch with an sfp port for each end. Select your choice of fiber and match sfp connector.

Just curious what you have against cdw? Best place for networking gear.

Last edited:

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I mean there are many fiber to Ethernet convertors on Amazon even. if you want with a large temp range, perhaps automationdirect.com or something similar. But, they all need power and probably most are 12V DC and not able to exist in the same junction box as 120V.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I googled the death out of this before asking on the forum. It kept giving me the same few items none of which were what would work. Since asking on some other forums, I have found a few possible answers. It is nice when people share what has worked for them.

From the information you provided just about anything would work which is what Google gave you. Since you didn't share with us (or Google) the specifics, this is what you got.

Makes me wonder what kind of other forums you found. We have to consider other things besides ethernet in and fiber out.

-Hal