Fence grounding (Solar Fields)

Status
Not open for further replies.

capsol

Occupation
Feild Supervisor
Morning all,

I know fence grounding has been addressed here multiple times but I'm not finding the info I need. My question pertains to mainly solar sites. I know 250.194 addresses fence grounding. Sub station fence grounding makes sense. In regards to fence grounding Am I assuming correctly when switch gear is set within the site fence grounding is "preferred" but not required? Also over head power lines that cross the fence perimeter I would assume would require the fence to be grounded?? Any help finding previous post regarding this or further code articles would be great! Thanks in advance!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If its a PV site that is over 500kW and not under utility control see article 691 and 691.11.
Is that Portland Oregon or Maine? I'd be interested if there is any such site in Oregon or Maine.
If your doing a privately owned substation and have exposed conductors within 16 feet of a fence and 1kV or over 250.194 would kick in.
Depending where you are you might need to also look to the NESC.

capsol

Occupation
Feild Supervisor
If its a PV site that is over 500kW and not under utility control see article 691 and 691.11.
Is that Portland Oregon or Maine? I'd be interested if there is any such site in Oregon or Maine.
If your doing a privately owned substation and have exposed conductors within 16 feet of a fence and 1kV or over 250.194 would kick in.
Depending where you are you might need to also look to the NESC.

Tortuga,

The site is over 500kw. Originally I was going off of 250.194 because it is a privately owned site. In this case it would fall under 691.6 I belive. You were correct for 691.11 which referances 691.6. I will double check the NESC just for clarification.

Thank You for the help Tortuga!!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Tortuga,

The site is over 500kw. Originally I was going off of 250.194 because it is a privately owned site. In this case it would fall under 691.6 I belive. You were correct for 691.11 which referances 691.6. I will double check the NESC just for clarification.

Thank You for the help Tortuga!!
Word
Remember we love photos of big jobs :)
And if you happen to be in Oregon remember they also adopt the NESC for HV items not covered under the NEC.

capsol

Occupation
Feild Supervisor
Word
Remember we love photos of big jobs :)
And if you happen to be in Oregon remember they also adopt the NESC for HV items not covered under the NEC.

I am in Oregon. I will get some photos in the futre to referance the jobs. Most of our sites are 2meg and small onesw like that, I belive we have a 10 meg comimng up in the near future as well though so that should be some fun. I will referance the NESC from here. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.