Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchast

Occupation
Commercial Electrician Foreman
I'm on revision 6 of a job I started 3 months ago. 2 questions at the moment.

I have a 600 Amp main feeder from the transformer, to a remote meter, to a 600 Amp building disconnect. From the disconnect, I have 3, 200 Amp subpanels. Nothing on the print regarding distribution. How do I account for this.?

Second question is in regard to my building bond. Do I need to run to the meter, or can I bond at the disconnect?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A lot of into missing:
Is the transformer in question a POCO service transformer or a customer transformer ?
What is the characteristic of the "feeder" (voltage, etc)
POCO meter or customer meter ?
What is the proximity of the subpanels to the 600 amp disconnect ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only way to feed the 3 panels from the load side of the 600 amp OCPD is by using 240.21(B)(2).

I have no idea of what a "building bond" is, so can't answer that part.

Jchast

Occupation
A lot of into missing:
Is the transformer in question a POCO service transformer or a customer transformer ?
What is the characteristic of the "feeder" (voltage, etc)
POCO meter or customer meter ?
What is the proximity of the subpanels to the 600 amp disconnect ?
Yes, transformer is poco

Jchast

Occupation
600 amp disconnect is on the same wall as the subpanels. Disco is outside, subs are inside

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Sounds like you have a 600 amp SERVICE, not feeder. In either event, don's advice (post #3) applies, 240.21 for feeders to subpanles (likely 10' or 25' max)
Grounding electrode conductors would normally originate in your 600 amp service disconnect.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that Augie nailed it. There is a 600 amp service with a 600 amp service disconnect which feeds three 200 amp panels. The GEC can terminate at the 600 amp disconnect or any point upstream of that. The conductors between the 600 amp disco and the 200 amp panels are tap conductors unless they're ampacity is 600 amps (not likely).

What size conductors are being used here?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Building bond would refer to Building steel And cold water
"Building bond" does not exist in the NEC. It appears that you are asking about grounding electrode conductors.

If that is the case, they can be connected to the grounded conductor at any point between the service point and the grounded bus in the service equipment. They can also terminate at more than one location. The main bonding jumper must be installed in the service equipment.

Jchast

Occupation
I am not installing service equipment. I have a remote meter, feeding a disconnect, feeding 3 subpanels.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Your grounding electrode conductors would normally originate in the 600 disconnect on the building in either event.

Jchast

Occupation
I think that Augie nailed it. There is a 600 amp service with a 600 amp service disconnect which feeds three 200 amp panels. The GEC can terminate at the 600 amp disconnect or any point upstream of that. The conductors between the 600 amp disco and the 200 amp panels are tap conductors unless they're ampacity is 600 amps (not likely).

What size conductors are being used here?
No info on feeder size on single line

Status
Not open for further replies.