feeder sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldcoast

I am looking at running feeds to two residential sites for a customer. one for a 1500 sq ft home and one for a 2200 sq ft home. The utility co. is feeding us at the begining of the road where we will install the meters with an overhead drop and then run underground to the building sites which are side by side and approx 700 feet away. This will be a standard 120 / 240 volt 1 phase service, and the homes will use gas for heat and misc. items such as hot water, cooking etc. The customer thinks he would like 200 amp services to each home. I'm not sure he needs 200 amps especially at the 1500 sq ft home, and it looks like some pretty hefty feeders to compensate for voltave drop to serve that load. Any recomendations or thoughts? What about bump and boost x-fmrs at the end of the runs? Any imput would be appreciated.
Thanks, this site is great.
Patrick.

wirenut1980

Re: feeder sizing

I would consider doing an Articel 220 load calculation and show the customer what you get. Then show how much it will cost to get that "extra capacity." If he/she still wants 200 Amps and is willing to pay for it, then so be it. As for how the best way to compensate for the voltage drop, it would come down to cost comparison for a transformer vs oversizing the wires. I have a feeling in your case, a transformer might be cheaper. However, be wary that with a buck/boost transformer you need to be careful how much the voltage changes with the load.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Is trhere anything that prohibits you from boosting the service voltage up to 600V and than dropping it back down to 240V at the house? Got to be cheaper than all that copper.

250mcm

Wow thats a run. I thought I had it bad. I have a run of 500 ft underground. I had to use 350 TP alum boy was it hard to work with. Just worked on a house that went underground 1500 ft with primary and 200 ft after the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.