Feeder Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have 3” with 4 #400 & 1#3 going vertical from 6th to 10th floor within electrical closet( we will be core drilling) then horizontal on 10th floor to another closet then vertical up to 30th floor. So the run is about 500’. Is it possible/practical to pull this wire without splicing it? Thanks.

mstrlucky74

IMO no. It's not practical.
is it the horizontal part that makes it not practical? if it was all vertical would you still need a splice?

and I ask because an electrician told me he would be able to do it without splicing he must be out of his mind...lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe; gravity can help. What's the horizontal length, and what would be the total number of elbows?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
is it the horizontal part that makes it not practical? if it was all vertical would you still need a splice?

You have about 25 floors of vertical which means that you'll need at least 5 cable supports boxes, with so many boxes in the run it would just be easier to plan on having a splice in the run. Yes 25 floors all vertical is doable in one pull.

mstrlucky74

You have about 25 floors of vertical which means that you'll need at least 5 cable supports boxes, with so many boxes in the run it would just be easier to plan on having a splice in the run. Yes 25 floors all vertical is doable in one pull.
yes I'm aware of the cable support boxes... about every 50 ft.. but you still need those whether or not you splice correct?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
What does the run on the 10th floor look like? Vertical from the 6th, then at least 2 elbows to get to the vertical run to the 30th. Any more elbows required, or is it a straight run between closets??

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So what exactly determines when you would want a splice? Number of bends? How many would be too much? How about a horizontal run( same floor) that's 600'....say # 1/0's. You would have up/down at panel and then about 4 other 90 degree bends...so about 2 pull boxes. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.