Feeder Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I have a feeder calculation that I have to do. It will have (1) 10HP and (1) 5 HP motor, split unit A/C, Lighting, and general receptacles. The motors and lighting are continous, everything else is not.

Should the calculation be 125% of the continuous plus 100% of the non-continuos?

Or does 430.24 come into play for the feeder? Only the largest motor is 125%, the other is 100% (even though continuous), then the non motor continuous loads at 125%, and non motor non continuous loads at 100%?

When is a feeder calculation done with all continuous loads calculated at 125%, even when there is motor loads? 430.24 throws me off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would calculate the largest motor at 125% and the other motor at 100%
You need to look at art. 220 also for demand factor Lighting and receptacles

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I would calculate the largest motor at 125% and the other motor at 100%
You need to look at art. 220 also for demand factor Lighting and receptacles

This is in an industrial environment in a room that will have a sub panel for the rooms equipment. Required receptacles and lighting demand factors won't be applicable here.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are having to competitive bid the job then I'd follow 430.24, 125% of largest + 125% continuous and 100% of the other motor and non-continuous.
I've not seen many industrial situations where they are interested in "minimum". 430.63 is going to dictate a fairly large over-current device due to the motor load and, if it's a normal industrial setting, it is likely in the future they will assume the allowable load based on the breaker so I would be tempted to install a feeder based on the OCP device not the calculated load more often than not the load will be increased over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.