feed-through to subpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizon

Re: feed-through to subpanel?

Wayne, thanks for your correction. :)
Looks like I got some bad advice and will have to visit a couple of jobs to replace a few breakers. Lucky for me I only did this recently for the first time and thanks to this forum will not continue this practice.

joek

I agree with Stars & BoB. You need to do a new load calc on the residence. The 200 amp main may not be able to handle the load. (As a side note - bedrooms in basements are not permitted in many areas unless there is an emergency egress other than the bedroom door. Most basement windows are to small for this.)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Goldstar: Square D makes subfeed lugs that attach to the line side of a MLO bus, and they make feed-thru lugs that attach to the other end of the bus. See:
Square D PN107
Bob, I wasn't aware that Sq-D made these feed thru lugs that are connected to the load side of the main breaker buss-bars. No need to explain your tap rules. It seems that your original answer was correct so as Gilda Radner used to say on Saturday Night Live "Never mind".

Regards,

Phil

[ February 22, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

Yes I did a load calc on the entire house and the 200 Amp service is more than enough. I think I came up with 143 amps for the entire house with 115 of that being the basement. Using 80% of max loading a 125 Amp breaker is only good for 100 Amps, thats less than the 115 I need for the sub panel. The next size up breaker is 150 Amp which is good for 120Amps and therefore my minimum. I do like the idea of using a 200 amp MLO panel, I think that is the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Thank you to everyone for the help.

Regards,
Peter

hurk27

By psoderlund: I came up with 143 amps for the entire house with 115 of that being the basement.
WOW only 28 amp for the rest of this house???
Something sounds wrong.

We just did a service for a very similar setup. but we used a 320 meter can with double lugs with a back to back 200 amp main breaker 40 space panel and a 200 amp disconnect feeding a 200 amp 40 space main lug panel in the basement.

Is it still possible to change the meter can to a 320 with double lugs?

[ February 23, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.