Feed Through Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay2712

I am installing a 200 amp 8 space feed through panel in the garage (this will be where the meter is) and to eliminate overhead wires, feeding into the house with underground service in conduit to another 200 amp panel (which will also have a main breaker). The inspector is coming out soon, but remarked on the phone that he would not have done it like that, preferring to run 150 amps to house(off a 150 amp double pole breaker I assume) because "you will have two 200 amp main breakers" and one or the other would trip and the other would not. Square D makes the feed through panel just for this purpose right? I mean the 200 amp breaker in the garage would be to shut off power close to the meter and you need a main in the house because there are more than 8 circuits...any idea what he's talking about? :confused:

[ April 21, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: jay2712 ]

Re: Feed Through Panels

As long as the feeder leaving the feed thru lugs of the 200A panel is rated for 200A then there should be no code issue. The feeder cables are protected by the 200A MCB.

Hope this helps.

jay2712

Re: Feed Through Panels

Thanks, the feeders are sized for 200 amp.

I didn't think I had missed anything, that's why I selected the 200 amp panels for both locations.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.