Feed through lug installation help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kg808

Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how feed through lugs are installed on a typical 200A main service panel. It's a surface mounted 12/24 200amp Siemens with the 4 pole main at the bottom.

I am using feed theough lugs to feed feed a sub panel at the house. What I'm confused about is I cannot for the life of me figure out how these are installed. The supply house sent me a BR type (Eaton) feed through lug kit. They said it works in Siemens panels. I've used BR breakers in a pinch for temporary use in a semiens panel. But the feed through lug kit seems to be too big.

I looked up the Siemens feed through lug kit and it is identical in every way. So I'm guessing I'm just missing some trick or tip with this.

Meter part number: MC2442B1200EFV

I really appreciate the help.
Thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm pretty familiar with that meter/main model but I've never been tasked with installing a feed-through lug kit in it.
I'm pretty sure that the Seimens is not listed to receive BR parts so you should really be using a Siemens part. It might fit physically fit in some Seimens panels but that does not mean it will fit in this one or is legit in any.
So that's my first piece of advice.

What's the feed through lug kit part number you've got?
It what way does it not seem to fit?

Kg808

Thanks for the quick reply. And yes I completely agree. Semiens panel... use Siemens parts...

the only reason I thought I would seek advice is because the supply house, who is usually spot on with installation compatibility, said this one would work. Also the Siemens feed through lugs I found online look identical.

here are the part numbers:
the one I have: BRS225

the Siemens one: ECLK2225

thanks for the help.

JFletcher

If you cant get it to work with what you have, why not run the sub-panel from a breaker rather than feed-thru lugs? A Siemens 100A 2p breaker is ~$35 and a 125A ~ $55; are the lug kits markedly less expensive?

Kg808

If you cant get it to work with what you have, why not run the sub-panel from a breaker rather than feed-thru lugs? A Siemens 100A 2p breaker is ~$35 and a 125A ~ $55; are the lug kits markedly less expensive?

This is is a temporary power situation. The panel I am describing will be mounted on the pole during construction and the feed through lugs will be feeding the main 200 Amp panel at the house. So I need an application to supply the house with 200 amps as well as run multiple temporary construction loads off of the temp panel on the pole. I thought the feed through lug block would be the best idea. But I can't get it to fit...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how feed through lugs are installed on a typical 200A main service panel. It's a surface mounted 12/24 200amp Siemens with the 4 pole main at the bottom.

I am using feed theough lugs to feed feed a sub panel at the house. What I'm confused about is I cannot for the life of me figure out how these are installed. The supply house sent me a BR type (Eaton) feed through lug kit. They said it works in Siemens panels. I've used BR breakers in a pinch for temporary use in a semiens panel. But the feed through lug kit seems to be too big.

I looked up the Siemens feed through lug kit and it is identical in every way. So I'm guessing I'm just missing some trick or tip with this.

Meter part number: MC2442B1200EFV

I really appreciate the help.
Thanks
AFAICT, the subfeed lug kit is installed just like a 2-pole breaker, except it must be installed to mate with a screw hole in the retention bar.

norcal

Would a mobile home panel have worked? They have main breaker, 8 spaces, & factory installed feed through lugs.

kwired

Electron manager
This is is a temporary power situation. The panel I am describing will be mounted on the pole during construction and the feed through lugs will be feeding the main 200 Amp panel at the house. So I need an application to supply the house with 200 amps as well as run multiple temporary construction loads off of the temp panel on the pole. I thought the feed through lug block would be the best idea. But I can't get it to fit...
If this is temporary, chances are you don't need 200 amps capacity at the house during construction and could get by with 100 or even 60 amp breaker, would just need a method to reduce conductor size before landing on the breaker.

logophore

I know this is a late reply but I am in the same situation as the OP and think I have the solution but am looking around to verify. this two-pole lug requires that the spaces on the opposite side of the panel be open as well. It is a little bit longer than standard, and requires exclusive use of the hot tabs and will not share them with the opposite side. So in essence it's a four pole stabbed onto 2 complete poles instead of 4 1/2 poles. I was trying to install it with breakers opposite and it was too long, but it works with no breakers opposite and doesn't seem to have any issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.