Feed for a surface mounted sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle032

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I am installing a 60a surface mounted sub panel in my garage. The source panel is flush mounted about 20 feet away on the other side of a doorway.

I have easy access to a tall crawl space. I would like to come out of the BOTTOM of the source panel and into the BACK of the sub panel through the wall with 6/3 NM. I will be adding three surface mounted outlets, 2-20A 120v and 1-20A 240v and they will all be surface mounted as I already have other surface mounted outlets and the 3 I am adding will be close to the sub panel.

My question is can I install the 3/4” clamp (minus the locking nut of course) before fishing the cable up the wall and through the knockout then secure it with the nut or should I just remove the drywall below the panels? Do I have to remove the drywall anyway to prove to the inspector it is properly clamped?

The garage is about three feet below the first floor so I really only have to fish the cable about two feet to the knockout.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am locking this post as it appears to be from a DIYer which we do not allow. The OP occupation is listed as Engineer. If Turtle032 could clarify how you are related to the electrical industry then we can determine if the post is allowed. Just send me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.