Failed inspection by retired inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Well, this is a new one for me. I don't fail many inspections, but this one wasn't supposed to be inspected. This is the same job I posted about a breaker tripped the day after I was there and I went back and it was totally unrelated to any work I did. So because of that the HO called her friend, supposedly a retired AHJ and he looked or she probably asked him to look at the work I did. So there was a 4" octagon box in the basement, I pulled out 2 bx and entered 3 romex, 12-2. So yes the box has 9 wires counting the ground instead of 6, and 2 open holes where I pulled out the bx. He (retired guy) told her there was to many wires in the box and the open holes were a fire hazard. Any thoughts? I changed the box. There is no permit on the job as this GC does a lot of kitchens and baths and doesn't normally pull permits. This job wasn't even a gut job.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What are you asking. Did you calculate the number of wires allowed. You only count the equipment grounding conductor once not 3 times. And yes the holes should have been plugged-- why did you leave it like that?

Because the builder doesn't get a permit that does not give you the okay to do a non compliant install. In fact, I would tell the builder that you need to get a permit. You are taking a risk by working without a permit. I would refuse the job unless a permit was taken.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One point of view you might want to consider. Assume a bad case scenario that there was a fire at that location after you performed your work and the inspector that noticed the problem had been hired by an insurance company to testify. No doubt you would be called upon to testify and some major questioning would concern if you pulled a permit and had an inspection and if not why not.
The outcome might not be as beneficial for you if there are no inspections.

GerryB

I do accept what you guys are saying. I just think the guy should should not get involved. The job was small, technically it might have required a permit. The GC ripped up the floor and put tile. New cabinets but they didn't open the walls or ceiling, as I said. I know you don't need a permit for that. My work, I turned a switch around, new devices, I did relocate the fridge outlet 18", move cable and telephone wires. The box in question was existing bx to direct wire dw, took out the bx and rewired dw with a switch under the sink. Is there really a fire danger from a cable clamp ko missing? I bonded the box also, the retired guy told the HO" he did a nice job tucking the wires in" and two romex in one clamp is not a violation, but there are 9 wires and the box (4" oct 1/12 deep) is good for six. To me that is so minor I didn't even think about it at the time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jerry don't take this the wrong way but I'm assuming that the person paying the bill paid for a code complaint job. The fact that a retired inspector found the problems is kind of irrelevant after all the violations did exist. If the job were done correctly in the first place then this guy would have had nothing to say.

iwire

Staff member
I do accept what you guys are saying. I just think the guy should should not get involved. The job was small, technically it might have required a permit.

It does require a permit, you can't do anything in CT without a permit legally.

So basically you where breaking the rules, (I do too sometimes) you had legitimate code violations and got called on it.

Suck it up, this is on you not the person that caught you.

GerryB

It does require a permit, you can't do anything in CT without a permit legally.

So basically you where breaking the rules, (I do too sometimes) you had legitimate code violations and got called on it.

Suck it up, this is on you not the person that caught you.
OK, I quit:D. I did suck it up and change the box, and the HO gave me a $50 tip for the last time I came when the problem wasn't mine and I spent over an hour there.

JFletcher

Well, this is a new one for me. I don't fail many inspections, but this one wasn't supposed to be inspected. This is the same job I posted about a breaker tripped the day after I was there and I went back and it was totally unrelated to any work I did. So because of that the HO called her friend, supposedly a retired AHJ and he looked or she probably asked him to look at the work I did. So there was a 4" octagon box in the basement, I pulled out 2 bx and entered 3 romex, 12-2. So yes the box has 9 wires counting the ground instead of 6, and 2 open holes where I pulled out the bx. He (retired guy) told her there was to many wires in the box and the open holes were a fire hazard. Any thoughts? I changed the box. There is no permit on the job as this GC does a lot of kitchens and baths and doesn't normally pull permits. This job wasn't even a gut job.

As others have said, always do work as if it will be inspected. I might have failed the box fill, but missing KOs? Those are tiny and cost next to nothing to have on your truck. How did you pull out 2 BX and enter 3 romex and have 2 missing KOs anyway?

"I changed the box". and changing that $2 box the first time around would have saved you a second trip. Little stuff like that is always worth fixing right the first time around - drive time, making room in your schedule to redo work, gas, etc is way more than a $2 part and the minimal time to change it out.

Personally, there is nothing I detest more than having to go back to a job to fix something I should have gotten right the first time, especially for a really minor issue.

growler

this one wasn't supposed to be inspected. HO called her friend, supposedly a retired AHJ and he looked or she probably asked him to look at the work I did. There is no permit on the job as this GC does a lot of kitchens and baths and doesn't normally pull permits.

I just think the guy should should not get involved.

If you are in business long enough you will probably end up inspecting the work of others. I have been hired to inspect the work of other contractors ( even on jobs that were supposed to be inspected by the AHJ).

If the owner feels the need of a second opinion they are allowed to hire anyone they wish to inspect work that's being done on their property.

On one job the owner was really being screwed because the contractor was charging for things they were not doing ( actually lots of things). All inspections are not code inspections, sometimes people just want to know if they are getting what they are being charged for.

jnaas2

Ive been chasing My tale lately filling out forms to Prove a so called Home Inspection company was wrong on there first inspection and that the install was right, But Im sorry any Idiot would of called you on the code violations, where Im located anything over 50 bucks requires a permit. And since Im licensed and bonded why not cover My butt and pull one

GerryB

As others have said, always do work as if it will be inspected. I might have failed the box fill, but missing KOs? Those are tiny and cost next to nothing to have on your truck. How did you pull out 2 BX and enter 3 romex and have 2 missing KOs anyway?

"I changed the box". and changing that $2 box the first time around would have saved you a second trip. Little stuff like that is always worth fixing right the first time around - drive time, making room in your schedule to redo work, gas, etc is way more than a $2 part and the minimal time to change it out.

Personally, there is nothing I detest more than having to go back to a job to fix something I should have gotten right the first time, especially for a really minor issue.
They weren't ko's they were the bx clamp holes.

darkov

It doesn't matter how big job it is..
Any electrical work requires the permit ( at least in AHJ who's adopted NEC and ICC codes).
You can't have more wires in box, than for what box is listed for ( cu. in. ), and yes holes have to be sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.