FACP Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone new of anything in the NEC or NFPA 72, that states you have to leave as much of the insulator jacket on the fire wire inside the fire alarm control panel?

For more years than I can think of, I?ve pulled in both my NAC?s and Initiating circuits through different pieces of conduit into the panel. From there I leave 3 or so inches of the red fire jacket on the wire, I then attach my wire numbers. I then strip out the wires completely and twist my pairs together, leaving a good 12 inch service loop in it. I then route the wires properly, bend them into position and then zip tie.

I was approached last week by a installer from another company who said its against code to strip the jacket off fire wire the moment it enters the panel? I asked him what article in the NEC it referenced, he said he didn?t know. Is their one?

Gabe

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: FACP Wiring

Yes, there is a code section that more or less requires this, but it is not a blanket coverage for all enclosures. See 760.55(D) for one, this deals with enclosures where both "Non-Power-Limited" and "Power Limited" wiring is installed in the enclosure.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.