FA DEVICE ADDRESSES

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

How is this usually handled by installers? Writing them down and providing a list?

"Contractor shall provide knowledgeable manpower to properly label and assign device address information and correctly address all peripheral devices."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The devices have bar codes and come with extra ones. We have a master print of all of the devices and we stick the bar code directly to the print adjacent to each device. The FA tech then inputs all of the devices into the system using its software and a laptop.

ryant35

The devices have bar codes and come with extra ones. We have a master print of all of the devices and we stick the bar code directly to the print adjacent to each device. The FA tech then inputs all of the devices into the system using its software and a laptop.

^^For EST devices.

Device addresses should have been specified by the engineer who put together shop drawings. They should have provided a list with descriptions for the programmer. At least that is the way I do it, to avoid duplicate addresses in the field.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Contact your FA provider they will tell you how it all works, from what type of wire to addressing.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I used to reserve blocks of addresses for specific devices. Siemens can put 252 devices on an addressable loop. So I'd do 001-100 for smoke detectors, etc. Depending on the size of the job, we'd put the addresses on the drawing and then send a print of an Excel spreadsheet to the customer with the proposed custom messages for their sign-off. We never put the custom messages on the drawings, although occasionally we'd put the final table on a separate sheet for the as-built set.

Status
Not open for further replies.