Extreme distance voltage drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
We do see it often enough with a smaller voltage ranges and generally with animals involved. I‘ve told the story before about the farmers wife being shocked at the sink in their small dairy. Neutral VD. The fix was going to be expensive but once he found out the cows were not being bothered, he dropped the project.

Yup. A few volts is painful. Now- imagine 60 volts.

kwired

Electron manager
We do see it often enough with a smaller voltage ranges and generally with animals involved. I‘ve told the story before about the farmers wife being shocked at the sink in their small dairy. Neutral VD. The fix was going to be expensive but once he found out the cows were not being bothered, he dropped the project.
A little surprised the cows were not being bothered, but at same time not surprised the decision not to fix if they aren't.

RD35

Hey thanks for this great discussion. Although I have never designed anything that would have a high voltage drop, I am always ready to learn. What I have plucked from this discussion is that in the event of a long run like this, I would prefer to ensure a short circuit will produce enough amperage to function the short-circuit magnetic portion of the circuit breaker so that an instantaneous trip will can take place. I would not feel good about a short circuit being cleared by the OCP in that breaker instead of the SCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.