Extra hot conductor at air handler unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper123

Hello,
I was taking a look at a small job the other day and found something that I have not ran into before.

In a small AHU motor hook-up factory handi box, the factory leads had a extra hot color conductor coming into it from the motor compartment. The motor nameplate was 115 volts only and also had a nuetral(white) conductor in the handi box as well. I traced back the source of the power that feed the motor and it ran into a large control box that had pneumatic controls and also a old ice cube relay. The black conductor was landed on a terminal strip and the blue conductor was landed on a ice cube relay. It was really not pertant to what I was looking at, other than the motor was being powered up by a 30 amp lighting ckt. Anyhow, from the factory the motor had the additional wire coming into the termination box and it was getting used. I just have never seen this and was wondering if anybody had any ideas. Also the AHU was installed in 1975. Just after i was born!

mdshunk

Re: Extra hot conductor at air handler unit

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking that the extra hot to the ice cube relay might have been to indicate the "occupied" or "unoccupied" status of the conditioned space to the AHU. Perhaps they were using the lights being on as the indicator of an occupied space.

Status
Not open for further replies.