Extension cords on vending machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

vette

Aside from the obvious safety and fire hazard issues presented by using an extension cord on a soft drink vending machine, are there any specific code sections that address this issue.

Our sales dept. is not educated on this issue. I would like to present them with as much information as possible on this subject.

G

Re: Extension cords on vending machines

Regardless of any codes the Fire Marshall in my town does not allow extension cords to be used for anything but a very temporary use (like to plug in a power drill). He will allow you to use a plug strip if the plug strip is fused or otherwise limited to 15-amps on the plug strip. He also allows businesses to daisy-chain the protected plug strips. If he sees an extension cord of any length he writes it up. Your mileage may vary. Your nomenclature may vary. I am only speaking for my Fire Marshall and in my town. I don't know if all the Fire Marshalls in my town abide by the same interpretation of the Fire Code or other national and local codes.

[ September 17, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

websparky

Re: Extension cords on vending machines

2002 NEC 400 Flexible Cords and Cables
400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

Status
Not open for further replies.