Extension cord Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been brought to my attentionby our safety person that all extension cords used on most of our machines are in code violation of NEC, NFPA and OSHA. If we have machines that use inspection lights and personal radio's at multiple locations why is it out of code to use a cord cap set with 12/2 sjo plugged into a approved grounded receptacle? Be kind I deal with electronics I'm not an electrical contractor.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
In a nutshell, it is because extension cords are not a substitute for "permenant fixed premisis wiring". I think thats how the code phrases it.

In general, I think extension cords should be limited to temporary use.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Having a machine that plugs into a properly grounded outlet is not a problem. Having to plug the machine into an extension cord, just so you can reach the nearest receptacle is a problem.

In an ideal world, you would have a permanent branch circuit installed with wires in conduit and with a receptacle close to the machine needing power. This is better than having to add the extension cord for several reasons. First, it is less susceptible to being bumped or cut or otherwise damaged by persons or machinery in the area. Secondly, you don't have to worry about anyone tripping over the extension cord or having the extension cord become entangled in any other way. Third, when a permanent branch circuit is installed and a receptacle is placed near the machine, the size of the wires will be selected in accordance with NEC rules, so that you know they will be able to handle the load. On the other hand, there are many types and sizes of extension cords, and it is difficult to make sure that the one installed at any given machine is sized properly for the load that the machine will impose upon the extension cord. Finally, the amount of damage it would take for an extension cord to present a shock hazard is not very much, and might not easily be seen or otherwise detected before someone gets hurt. On the other hand, the amount of damage it would take for a permanent branch circuit (installed in conduit) to present a shock hazard would be very substantial, and easier to detect.

Lady Engineer

I'm feel ashamed, I used E Chords at my house, because the dummy's gave me1 duplex to plug in my cable modem, TV, Cordless phone, DVD player, Cable box. So I purchased a TVSS 6 receptacle device, but still needed on more. So bought a surge strip and plugged it into a TVSS device. It's all grounded, but was spagetti behind the TV.

Don't do as I did, do as I say....don't do it. :D

Lady :p

Status
Not open for further replies.