Expected life/cost to replace and danger to computer equipment of transformers from 1985

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
With my experience with utility failures, I not sure if I agree with that statement. Sure both create damaging voltage transients during failure. But due to the physics of a power line vs that of a single 75KVA transformer, I would bet that the utility would win hands down.
I agree. But for some reason people design electrical systems thinking the utility power will always be available? Look at how many companies say no to preventative maintenance, because 'they can't handle an outage' but then have taken little effort to deal with utility outages.

My point was, if the electrical design accounted for utility outages, I wouldn't worry about the loss of a small transformer causing damage.

IME maybe businesses don't want to know the cost of downtime because it would make them spend more money on things like UPSs and generators and the associated maintenance, kinda like the kid sticking their fingers in their ears and singing La La La.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
IME maybe businesses don't want to know the cost of downtime because it would make them spend more money on things like UPSs and generators and the associated maintenance, kinda like the kid sticking their fingers in their ears and singing La La La.
It's the cost of the insurance policy!